The Dal I Know

His large brown doe eyes revealed a sense of relief and his lips slowly spread into a grateful smile like a lost puppy who's just been found. I stared at him mutely, unsure of what to say. He was the last person I expected to see.

"I knew it was you. I can always pick you out of a crowd," V stated proudly with a wide grin. I winced at that, not something I wanted to hear. "Just wait until—" he started happily but stopped when he took in my appearance. His eyes roamed down my bloodstained body and I instinctively yanked my arm away from him and crossed it over my chest, hiding whatever I could.

Suddenly, he cupped my cheeks and his worried eyes bore into mine. "What's wrong?! Are you hurt?! We need to get you to a doctor." He latched onto my arm again and began to drag me away.

"Stop, V." He jumped a little, probably because that was the first time I was so cold to him. He stared back at me with sad eyes that practically screamed 'did I do something wrong?'. I held him back, refusing to move. "I'm ok."

He furrowed his brows and took another look at me. "Why are you covered in blood, then?"

My jaw clenched.

"Did the guards find you? Did someone attack you? I could have sworn I told the artist to make the nose bigger."

"What?"

He cheekily grinned. "For the wanted posters! I told her that your nose was gigantic and that you had half an eyebrow missing."

I couldn't help but laugh at his mischievous stunt to protect me. He was so proud of himself too.

"Good plan, huh? Makes all the difference!"

"Sure," I rolled my eyes. No wonder I looked so different in the posters. I just thought that was how I looked like to other people. After all, no one knows how they really look, since we've only seen ourselves thru reflections. Plus, I read somewhere that our mind makes small adjustments so we look better to ourselves. I remember how screwed I felt when I read that. "None of the other guys noticed?"

V shrugged. "They probably did, but nobody said anything about it."

"Oh," was all I said. I couldn't believe they were still protecting me like this, especially when I gave them reasons not to.

"Wait! You haven't answered my question yet. Why are you-"

A bitter smile kissed my lips. "I killed a lot of people. I attacked someone. I attacked a family."

He instantly snorted, "yeah right. Very funny."

My eyes narrowed at him. "Why? You don't think I can hurt someone?"

"Of course not. At least not the Dal I know," he replied without a second thought. He gave me the same heartwarming, innocent smile. The smile that I once could have stared at forever, but now, it only made me feel guilty.

I couldn't stand this guilt. It felt like I was drowning. "V, I'm not-"

His large hand clasped my mouth, and he pulled me behind a conveniently placed large bush. I looked at him dumbfounded and followed his line of sight to the edge of the road at the outer bank of town. A large group of 15 maybe 20 guards raced down the road before coming to a sudden stop several yards away from us. Someone at the head of the group turned towards the others. I immediately recognized him as one of the training leaders from the castle.

"Are you sure you saw him here?" He questioned.

"Yes, sir. He was just here a minute ago..." One of the other men replied, nervously looking around.

He?

"Well don't just stand there. He couldn't have gone far. You all know your orders!" The head guard ordered. Within a second, the guards dispersed, searching every corner of the field and road.