Their Mistake

When I woke up the next morning, Yoongi was already gone.

Doing what?

Who knows.

But I'll tell you who doesn't know.

Me.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on at all.

I paced back and forth around the cave, trying to find a way to ease the nasty feeling in my gut. When my gut says something is off, it's always right.

"You're making me dizzy, Dal," V said as his eyes tracked my movements. "Is something wrong?"

"I don't know. I just feel sick," I truthfully answered.

He hopped to his feet and came over to search my face. "Are you okay? What's wrong? Was it something you ate? Maybe it's the altitude? What can I do for you? Is there anything you need?"

I smiled at him weakly. He was genuinely one of the sweetest people I've ever met, which made me feel worse every time I used him. But I had to. I had no choice.

I couldn't picture myself killing this man, or any of the other men.

Well, maybe Yoongi.

But everyone else had grown on me in ways that I never knew were possible.

Maybe this was why Orion never assigned me long missions. Maybe he knew part of me would grow fond of the people I met.

Maybe he knew I was weak.

It's been several months since I first came to the palace in July and now it's already December. Rather than getting closer to achieving my task, I've only been getting closer to the guys.

And I was scared shitless.

"I'll be fine. I think I'm just not used to the environment." I moved my face from his hands and sat down on the chilly cave floor, running my fingers along the projections on the cave.

"Alright," he said, looking unconvinced. "Let me know if you need something, okay? I'm genuinely worried about you."

I smiled at him, knowing that every word that came out of his mouth was true.

V was practically like an open book to me. Ever since our first sparring session, we sparred together at least twice a week for hours. Because we spent so much time together, his reservations and doubts quickly faded, and he opened up to me about a variety of things.

I was so close to fully trusting this man that I didn't know how to act.

It's been a while since I've trusted someone—since someone has shown me that they deserved my trust.

I missed interacting with someone so easy to read and completely straightforward about their thoughts. His sincerity and love for life was contagious, and I desperately wanted to see the world in the same way he did. I think I valued that the most from him because he was someone that I wouldn't be—that I couldn't be.

We talked about irrelevant, trivial things for about an hour, tossing in goofy jokes and pranks every now and then, until I remembered a question that's been nagging at me.

"Hey, V?" He glimpsed up and nodded at me to continue. "I've been meaning to ask you..."

My heart dropped as he innocently smiled at me. "Go on. I'll tell you anything."

"How about love?" I casually asked. "I've been thinking about this for a while. You guys are in your early to mid-20s, and most people your age are married or dating or starting families. Do you guys... you know... mate?"