Moonchild

Staring dazed at the orange sun slowly retreating behind the lavish green hills in the distance, I waited for RM at the fountain circle. After our short yet irritating conversation, he and Jin left to 'handle some business' and told me to meet them at the water fountain in the town's center at dusk. The soothing whisper of water flooded my ears and, for a brief second, I felt at ease. Maybe I was losing my touch.

The circle was filled with villagers rushing in and out of shops, probably preparing for dinner and the rest of their night. Dusk created a calming yet vibrant glow that shown on each of the villagers' pleasant faces. It was intoxicating. Watching them wave bye to each other and wander off in different directions with the subtle reassurance of seeing each other the next day captivated me. It was a mundane security that I wanted to invite into my life but couldn't.

"Dal."

"Bout time," I replied without drawing my eyes from the carefree villagers.

I lied and told him some random name that just popped into my mind. Well, maybe not too random. I was used to staring at the moon from wherever my missions had brought me. For some reason, I felt like it was the only thing that kept me sane, despite how crazy my life had gotten.

I mean, if you went from living a luxurious lifestyle to living on the streets as an orphan to somehow being trained as an assassin, then you would need something to keep your humanity in check.

However, RM really surprised me when he told me that my name suited me. He said I reminded him of a 'moonchild'. Whatever that meant.

"Are we leaving now?" I reluctantly got up from my comfortable people-watching position on the fountain's stone rim.

"You are." Reading the stupidly confused look on my face, he continued. "I still have some business to take care of here, so I've asked someone to accompany you to the capital."

Did that mean the king was still here?

I debated whether I should pester him to let me stay with him in town but decided that it would seem incredibly suspicious and would've triggered his internal alarms. Suddenly, a blur of blonde flashed before my eyes and latched onto a very unfazed RM.

"Here he is now," RM stated, pointing to the man that was clinging tightly onto his back.

Playfully curious eyes popped out from under a mess of blondish white hair. Once they met mine, his eyes turned into small rainbows on his soft, pale face.

"I'm Jimin. Nice to meet you." His voice had a delicate, lighthearted feel to it.

"I'm Dal. Nice to meet you." I subconsciously bowed.

He let out a small, infectious laugh that complemented his soft appearance. "No need to be so formal. We're friends."

"Friends?" I knew I didn't have much experience in the friendship realm of things, but heck I barely just met the guy.

Viciously nodding his head, he replied, "RM's friends are my friends."

I raised my eyebrow at RM, who gave a casual shrug. Finally pouncing off RM's back, Jimin approached me. I felt his eyes take me in, but I couldn't blame him because I did the same. First impressions were crucial, after all.

Boyish charm and charisma oozed from him. For some inexplicable reason, I felt welcomed, despite our sudden meeting. The warmth and joy emanating from him enticed me to open up to him, though I knew I never would. But, hey, the lure was still there. I wondered what he thought of me, too, as I let his eyes roam my body and slowly rest on my curves. He subtly bit his rosy lips, darkened his eyes, and ran his fingers through his hair before quickly replacing it with his elated expression.