Begin

Time stilled as the castle, once silenced by the breaking of dawn, burst to life. The maid's mouth rapidly moved, but all I could hear were the muffled sounds of footsteps rampaging throughout the hall.

Instinctively, I dashed out the door, shoving the maid aside. Knowing most of the guards would block the castle's sole entrance and exit, I ran towards the left, glancing at RM's door as I passed. I half-expected a bewildered, bed-headed RM to scurry out but surprisingly, the door stayed closed.

My legs moved on their own as I ran thru a mental map of the castle. There was only one large window I could've snuck out of, but that was in the opposite direction. From here, I could run back to my room and play dumb, but the maid already saw me. She knew me. She could identify me.

At the very least, I'd be arrested and questioned. What excuse would I have for being in the King's quarters? Not to mention, staring at his dead, lifeless body. Plus, I'm their only suspect. I needed a hiding place, a cover.

Just as I turned another corner, I collided with a soft chest. Before my butt could meet the floor in a graceful manner (sarcasm), two lean arms reached out and steadied me. A sleepy-eyed Yoongi grumpily stared down at me. "Watch where you're-" He paused and took in my frantic appearance and softened his gaze. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"Nothing. Let go of me." I tried shaking his arms off me but only made him tighten his grip. Great.

"Not till you tell me what's wrong," he stubbornly retorted.

At this rate, he's going to get me killed. Where's the Yoongi who minded his own business and wanted nothing to do with me? I fought against his grasp to no avail. "If you don't let me go right now, I'm going to pee myself right here and now. Do you want that?" I snapped at him.

He cocked his head, analyzing me before coming to the conclusion that I was lying. "Go ahead. I'll grab some towels," he replied with a challenging smile.

The nearing bombardment of footsteps came to an abrupt stop, drawing Yoongi's attention as well as my own.

"What's going on?" Jin's calm voice sounded out-of-place compared to everything going on.

There were some inaudible mutters before one voice sounded above the others. "His Majesty's dead."

Yoongi widened his eyes and focused more intently on the conversation.

"What?!" Jin roared. "What happened?!"

"A maid found him dead," the same voice meekly answered.

"She said she went this way..." another shaky voice added. At that, Yoongi's eyes slowly drifted to me and he loosened his grip. I couldn't tell what he was thinking, but he looked almost... conflicted? Like he didn't know what to think of everything. I took the opportunity to step away from him, but he instantly mirrored my movement, blocking my path.

"Please," I practically begged. I didn't want to hurt him, but I would if I had to. He stood firm, his eyes lingering on the wall behind me.

"She saw who did it?" Jin asked.

"Yeah, it was-"

"I killed your brother, Yoongi." The words rushed out of my mouth.

He snapped his head towards me, and I couldn't help but notice the vulnerable look on his face. That was all I needed: a moment of weakness.

I pushed pass him and ran as fast as I could with no end in sight. I couldn't risk opening a door for fear of who laid on the other side of it. Doors and candles and antiquities blurred as I knew eventually, I'd reach a dead-end. Both literal and metaphorical.