I don't kill people.

"You can go first," I nodded at him, tired to continue but knowing that I needed to.

His face scrunched up, as he thought hard about his first question but ultimately settled on, "You killed someone."

"I did."

Silence.

"You didn't kill anyone."

"I didn't."

Silence.

Now, that the facts were out of the way, I wanted to dive deeper into V. There was a nagging question at the back of my mind ever since I realized he didn't kill them. It was almost like he couldn't kill them. "Why didn't you kill anyone?"

Without batting an eye, he challenged, "Why did you kill someone?"

He got me there.

We stared at each other, a sort of mental duel. Of course, knowing V, he gave in first. "I don't kill people."

"I can see that."

He awkwardly shuffled around and fiddled his thumbs, all while obviously avoiding eye contact with me.

Sighing, I patted the ground beside me. "Come sit. Your awkwardness is starting to make me feel awkward, too. Only one person can feel awkward at a time."

He shot me a sympathetic look before sitting beside me.

"Why don't you kill people, V?"

"Why do you kill people, Dal?"

We were literally going in circles, so thru gritted teeth, I did what I did best. Lied. "It was an accident."

He furrowed his brows, which was a sure indicator that he didn't believe the bullshit that came out of my mouth. Though, I couldn't blame him. I wouldn't have believed me anyways. "How do you accidentally step on someone's neck so hard that you choke and crush them?" There was a slight irritation in his voice now. "How do you accidentally jump on a man's back and twist his head around? How do you accidentally stab a man perfectly in his heart?"

Because I'm me, I couldn't help but make a poorly timed joke. "Guess I'm a heartbreaker."

I immediately regretted my joke as soon as I noticed V's unwavering expression that showed he wasn't in the mood for bad jokes. My bad.

"I don't know, V." I shrugged. "I guess I kind of panicked because you were outnumbered, and I wasn't sure if you'd be able to take everyone down without killing them."

My honesty must've gotten thru to him because his gaze softened. "I'm sorry I made you worried," he whispered. "I didn't mean to. You should've stayed in the cave."

"Do you really think I'm the kind of person who sits back and watches her friend fight by himself?"

He exhaled a laugh. At least we were making progress. "I guess not. Thanks for jumping in front of a sword for me." His large kind brown eyes slightly made my heart tingle. Just slightly.

"Any time." I paused. "But like not really any time. Actually, hopefully there won't be another time. But like if there was another time, I guess I'd do the same thing. But it would hurt a lot and I kind of don't enjoy being stabbed, but of course it'd be better than—"

"Stop, I get it." He laughed. You know, the laugh that makes my stomach feel all gushy and mushy inside. The laugh that makes me feel like I'm about to vomit out butterflies and rainbows.

"Guess it's your turn now, V."

His smile immediately slipped off his face, and he averted his eyes. "It's kind of a long story."