She held the little boy closer as his body shook violently. Her hand pressed against his head, his face pressed into her shoulder.

They both stiffen upon hearing running footsteps above them. The pair held their breath, waiting for the footsteps to disappear.

Once the footsteps disappeared, Matilda's body slacked against the earth behind her.

For now they were safe.

***

"Glenn! Maggie!" Rick called. "Kelly!"

"Rick. Rick." Glenn called, walking into the woods. Maggie, Kelly, and Michonne followed behind him.

"Where's Tilly?" Kelly said, rushing towards her leader. She looked around her best friend.

"We couldn't find her." Rick said, looking solemn.

"You can't just leave her!" Kelly shouted, not seeing a concern older redneck.

"I'm not, but we got a problem here. I need you to back up." Rick said, holding out his hand.

Glenn pointed his gun at Merle. "What the hell is he doing here?"

"Hey, hey, hey!" Rick said, holding back Michonne while Kelly held before Glenn.

"Hey, put it down!" Daryl shouted, walking towards Glenn. "Put it down!"

"He tried to kill me!" Michonne said, pointing her katana at Merle.

"If it wasn't for him—" Glenn started.

"He helped us get out of there." Daryl said, pointing at Glenn. Merle was behind his brother with his hands raised.

"Yeah, right after he beat the shit out of you," Rick said, pointing his gun at Michonne.

"Hey, we both took our licks, man," Merle said, putting in his two cents.

"Jackass," Daryl said, glancing at his brother.
"Hey, shut up," Merle said to Daryl.

Rick turned to Merle but keeping his gun on Michonne. "Enough!"

Michonne took the advantage and moved closer to Merle.

Rick turned towards her. "Put that thing down."

"Get that thing out of my face!" Daryl shouted angrily at Glenn.

He stocked closer, but Kelly stepped between him and Glenn. She placed a hand on each of their chests.

"Man, look like you've gone native, brother," Merle laughed.

Kelly didn't find him funny as Daryl turned to his brother. "No more than you hanging out with that psycho back there."

"Oh, yeah, man. He is a charmer, I got to tell you that." Merle said leaning against a tree. He looked at Michonne "Been putting the wood to your girlfriend Andrea. Big time, baby."

"What? Andrea's in Woodbury?" Glenn asked, in disbelief.

"Right next to the Governor," Merle replied. "And his sister."