089

THE KEY TO THE FUTURE-089

When Matilda, her father, and Michonne made it to Hilltop, their family was waiting at the gate for them. As her father and Michonne stopped in front of them, she walked right past them, ignoring the stares of her husband, son, and Kelly and walked to the house.

Inside, she hurried to the nearest bathroom, shut the door and locked it. She headed to the sink, turned it on and watched as the water went down the drain. Her hands gripped the sink as she took a deep breath when a sob crawled up her throat.

The images of her brothers deaths flashes in her mind, Lee's lifeless eyes and Carl's sickly face caused a quiet sob to escape past her lips.

Matilda gripped the sink so hard that her knuckles had turned white. She cried her heart out for Lee, Carl, and Glenn. For everyone she had lost along the way. For her mother, Hershel and Ty.

The grief she had pushed so far down for her family and people's sake, had boiled over the edge and exploded. Her sobs were drowned out by the running water, her body shook with numbing pain.

When she calmed down, Matilda wiped away the tears from her eyes and looked into the mirror. Dark bags lied underneath her dull hazel eyes, the rims of them were red and puffy and tears tracks stained her pale face.

Her eyes shifted down to her hands, the dried blood that had trickled down the side of her baby brother's head had coated her hands. She placed her hands under the water, scrubbing them together, watching as the blood mixed with the water, staining it dark red before it went down the drain.

Once her hands were cleaned, Matilda splashed some water over her face, over and over again before she leaned against the sink. Taking a deep breath, she turned off the water, grabbing her weapons and opened the door.

Walking into the main hall, she saw Rosie standing in the office rocking Edith. She could tell that the teen had been crying, due to her eyes were red and puffy. The redhead meant a lot to her baby brother, same goes for Lee and Violet.

Matilda looked away, walking towards the door and stepping outside. As soon as she stepped out the door a pair of tiny arms wrapped around her leg making her look down to see her baby sister.

"Hi, Papillon." She muttered, picked up Judith and setting her on her hip. (Butterfly)

The woman didn't see her husband or father anywhere before she headed over to Michonne, Maggie, Enid, Rosita, and Kelly. Judith rested her head on her sister's shoulder, eyes drooping as sleep washed over her.