The Diary

"There comes a time in your life when you have to choose to turn the page, write another book or simply close it."

― Shannon L. Alder

* * * * *

* * * * *

~ Mandodari ~

'A diary is an assassin's cloak which we wear when we stab a comrade in the back with a pen' a great man William Soutar, a Scottish poet, said that. It is believed that a Diary holds all the gory secrets of a mad man. So, when the Inspector said and I quote, "We have gone through Rajeshwari's diary, which she has started writing post her accident, and we have a reason to believe, you have a benefit from Rajeshwari's murder. Though the chances are very slim that you may have anything to do with it, we'd like to keep all our options open", I didn't know how to react to it. Raavana had an expression of exasperation but Mr. Rao, the expression on his face broke me. It, to me, felt like a mixture of helplessness and defeat. And that felt heart wrenching!

The inspector then proceeded to 'investigate' me. The same questions he asked before too.

"How did you meet Rajeshwari?"

"Um, she was my patient. Admitted in the hospital after her accident"

"What's special about her? I mean you have many patients, get you so closely moved with her? Isn't it against your hospital fraternizing policy to not be in a personal relationship with your patient?"

"Sir, fraternising policy is when the person is currently my patient. I am a surgeon. After I formed a bond with her, I never operated on her or got involved with her treatment"

"You didn't answer my first question"

"Rajeshwari was the granddaughter of my previous patient. And it was friendship between us sir. We can't question why we make friendship"

"Hmm. So what do you think about Rajeshwari?"

"She's a sweet girl sir. I loved her like a sister. She went through a lot sir. I only wanted to help her through her trauma. I..., I loved her sir. Like my own sister. She was like my own family." I said trying to control the tears threatening to stream down my tears.

"It's okay Ms. Mandodari. We would like you to come to the station again if need be. Thank you Mam" probably cut shot because he didn't know how to control a weeping woman.

The inspector further continued, "We have called you here to ask for you to not leave the city until we catch the culprit behind"

Nodding in approval, I made a quick escape from there along with Raavana while Mr. Rao stayed back to discuss something with the inspector.

It wasn't until we came out and Raavana spoke to me about it, that something even made sense. "What the hell is the Inspector saying Raavana? Did you read the diary? Why will I kill Rajeshwari?"