Death.

In case you never get a second chance: don't be afraid! And what if you do get a second chance? You take it!     

- C. JoyBell C.

* * * * *

* * * * *

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

* * * * *

~ Mandodari ~

Death. Death isn't merely the cessation of life. There is a lot more to it than that. It is in a way like a Hurricane. Leaving damage and destruction in its wake. At times the process of death lasts for only a little time and at other instances it lasts for a long period of time. But, nonetheless it is always accompanied by sadness and helplessness. However it may be, but one thing that that death isn't, is that it is never easy. 

The body knows when the death approaches. The body starts weakening. One feels extreme fatigue. No hunger. No thirst. He is left only to feel pain if he can. Extremities start cooling down. But the heart and the lungs strive till the end. Work vigorously to try and keep us alive. But in the end, they have no option but to give up. This is the normal process of death in senescence. If any other intervention is present, the process might change but the end result - death - won't. As Death is established, the grief of near and dear can not be described in words. However noble and pure the person's death was - or however good or bad he lived, there is always sorrow. The mourning of the dead.

As a doctor, Death is not something I am unfamiliar with. During my first day of Internship, when I was just starting to learn how to deal with patients, I had to also witness a death. She was a 45 year old woman, Rajeshwari. Suffering from end stage Gastric Cancer. Her death was inevitable. But still, effort was being made to delay it. She was the first patient I attended that day. The evening, just before my duty ended, she passed away. My first experience with death.

I cried to sleep that night. Not just because she passed away. But in mourning of the future deaths that I am bound to face, for I know that I can't afford to cry then. And since then I haven't cried for any more deaths I have seen as a part of my practice. And when I chose to become a Trauma Surgeon, I knew that I'd be more exposed to deaths than when compared to many other fields. 

I'm not saying it is easy. It's hard. Very hard. Hard to deal with the family of the deceased. Hard to deal with the news myself. And then telling it to the family. Their response may not be something we expect all the time. Few lash out at us. Few just lean away and cry. Few just don't believe us, believe that their loved one is no more. Everyone has their own way of dealing with it.

As time goes, we learn to deal with it. I am able to take the news better. But that doesn't mean it affects me any less. You might think with seeing so many deaths, we'd be dealing with it better. But that isn't the truth. We also face a lot of agony and helplessness.