Normalcy.

Doctors will have more lives to answer for in the next world than even we generals.

Bonaparte

* * * * *

* * * * *

~ Mandodari ~

An Emergency ward is a hospital room or area staffed and equipped for the reception and treatment of persons - casualty or with illness - requiring immediate medical care.

Well, that is probably how Google defines a medical emergency ward. But having experienced it, I would say, the ward, minty smell of antiseptics combined with a tinge of metallic smell of blood, nauseating smell of various drugs providing a very odd mixture, along with sirens of ambulances coming and going - outside, the incoming of casualty and emergency victims; the hurried gait of doctors, surgeons and nurses together; sounds of people praying for lives at one end and the agony cries of the family just outside, who lost a precious member at the other, also the grateful prayers of the attendees of a victim whose surgery was a success; the hustle-bustle of the working staff; all together - a very war-like scenario - This is an emergency critical care unit.

And it has always been so. Though it might sound disappointing, this environment is what made me the woman I am. With sensitivity towards every life I might not be able to save; Urgency to save every life I can; Caution towards every person that comes through the doors - this I would say, though has its own drawbacks, is the best kind of life I would have ever hoped to have. 

Keeps me too busy to ponder over any other thing. And more than that, gives me a great deal of satisfaction. Satisfaction of doing something for the greater good of the society, the world, mankind as a whole.  

Today was nothing different. My day here started with the news of an emergency at four in the morning. Of course, this part sucks. Having no predictability regarding this sort of thing really does suck. It sometimes disrupts our whole schedule. But I would be lying if I said I don't like the unpredictability. I love it. It is one of the many reasons I chose to become a Trauma Surgeon. I rushed to the hospital after quickly getting freshened up in a record ten minutes.

I very frequently don't get called up if I am not on duty at that time, but today, there was a major accident at around 3:50 am and there were many casualties, and we were a little short-staffed - the prime reason why I was called up. 

The first operation was a success as we could bring him into stable condition. I would say the second was also a success as we could save the patient, but unfortunately for that, we had to amputate his foot which was very badly injured. The said patient was admitted in the hospital three days back and had been in observation since then. Since he was a diabetic and was nearing his 90's, he had a weak immune system. As we found evidence of Pseudomonas infection in his severed foot, also the extremities showed signs of wet gangrene, and hence amputation was a better choice, to control the spread of infection.