World Building: Champion Spirits

-Matter of the Champion Spirits-

Champion Spirits. Demigods. Champions of the Triple Goddess. Courage. Wisdom. Power.

The Champion Spirits (CSs) are as elusive to track through history, yet just as influential, as perhaps the gods themselves. They are beings in some way equally spirit as they are flesh. Mortal, yet immortal. Cursed, yet blessed. Powerful, yet seemingly powerless to their own fate. CSs are not a race, but a group of three individuals. It is impossible to talk about one of the CSs without talking, in some way, about the other two. They are capable of their individual lives, to be sure, but whether by design or instinct, they are always drawn to one another whether by love... or by hatred.

The first, and primary thing to understand about the CSs is that they are mortal. They age, they eat, they have children, they are born from fathers and mothers, and they fall to disease and the sword. Yet even as they are mortal, they are immortal, as they are unique in spirit. Their spirit does not leave the physical realm, but stays and returns as a new life. This new life, while always unique in the period and place and gender and experiences to which the life is born, always yet carries the same overall personality and mentalities of its former lives. The spirit of Courage, while always different from one cycle to the next, is always recognized in some way to be Courage. The same with Wisdom and Power.

They are not infalible, despite these things. Courage is courageous, whether he a hero or villain. Power is powerful, whether for good or calamity. Wisdom is always wise, whether to be known as a tyrant or loved king. It is perhaps the greatest reflection of this potential duality, this potential for good and evil, that the three last ones to be recognized in history were to be known as the Demonic King, the Wise Tyrant, and the Rebellious Hero.

The second thing worthy of recognition is that no matter what era they are born in, there is a pattern. The pattern is as follows: There are always three, no more or less. They are always drawn to one another, whether they know it or not, as if their very souls recognize each other even if their eyes do not. They are given powerful Gifts, whether natural or unnatural. They always are placed, whether by higher design or coincidence or their own ambition, at the center of history in their time so as to be the perfect architects of their age. (My colleagues jest they are dramatic like that.) And there is never more than one of each at any one time, so the former must die for there to be a new one.

The third thing of note, and probably the most amazing, is how ignorant they are. Unlike other races who know of their origins and purpose, the CSs are entirely unaware unless guided to know. They consider themselves no different from any other individual, entirely unaware of their place in history and what makes them special. Their ignorance makes them difficult to track, as it often leaves them as ones to not take credit for their own handiwork and role in history and so be left unwritten or left as a shadow in the backdrop of history. It makes patterns horribly difficult to track, as I hope you can imagine. They do not know they are reincarting endlessly. They do not know of their power, unless they stumble upon it. It is, in a sense, so natural to them as breathing is for us.

At first this might seem to be the end of it. On the surface there is not much more to them, but when looked at closely, there is something deeper within them and questions to be asked. Why are these three the only ones to exist? Where did they come from? Why are they reincarnating in an endless cycle, and towards what goal or end does this cycle hold? Most of all, why do even they not know and never remember? Did they start by way of a curse, to be forever bound in spirit to the earth? Are they the gods hidden hand guiding us all towards a fated future? Why are these three always seeking one another, even across the world to chase each other, as if in an eternal dance?

Will this dance ever end?

-History-

The war in heaven.