Majora's War - Scream

-Kuroko / Malon-

The smell was intoxicating.

Kuroko's mouth watered as she sucked in the delectable temptation of meat, herbs, and vegetables. She needed it! However, Kuroko only allowed her eyes to rove briefly, savoring the temptation and sight, over the stew as it boiled. She would wait patiently. She was a grown woman and wouldn't be brought to childish behavior by-

"And done." Malon stuck a ladle in, stirred, and made a brief inspection.

Kuroko's carven bowl skidded across the table to Malon, bumping into Malon's bowl and knocking it aside. Malon glanced back at her and laughed. "Are we hungry?"

Kuroko nodded rapidly. Her eyes wouldn't leave the bubbling potion. Chuckling, Malon allowed her mother to have the first serving and passed it to her before scooping herself some. Malon scooped up some in her ladle a second time, turned to pour some into her own bowl, only to find Kuroko's had rolled across the table a second time, empty of its contents. The only evidence there had been anything was some of it on her mother's chin and clothing beneath her face. Kuroko watched her expectantly.

"You look like a dog begging at my heels." Malon smiled. She poured more for her mother and then scooped some for herself all before passing it back to her, much to Kuroko's distress. Malon sat at the table. Kuroko, no longer quite as hungry, and knowing what deliciousness awaited now since the surprise was over, slowed her own pace as much as she could.

After Kuroko had eaten another bowl, and was momentarily, heavenly satisfied, she breathed out with a happy sigh.

"Definitely like a dog..." Malon chuckled. "Or Ganon."

Kuroko frowned and pouted. She didn't care much for the man. He was rough and she had to walk carefully around him to avoid setting him off.

Malon rolled her eyes and pointed her spoon at her mother, "He isn't bad. Despite his temper, he has never laid a hand on me. I am actually mouthier than he is."

"Doesn't mean he is good."

Malon's eyes briefly narrowed. Carefully she put the spoon down and looked evenly at Kuroko. "No, he is better." Kuroko scoffed. "He is. I've seen 'good' fathers not try. They know nothing of their children and fall into complacency. Ganon remembers, he makes efforts with me, he acknowledges his failings, and you saw yourself how devoted he is to try to heal his soul. The valley of altars is witness to that."

Kuroko's eyes softened in hearing Malon speak so devotedly. They fell into a brief silence, both considering their thoughts. They returned to eating, but the food didn't taste quite as good now with what was at the end of their tongues. Kuroko sighed, "I am glad he hasn't touched you, but it is only a matter of time with that fire of his. He has no control over it. As you say he is trying to heal his soul, but that is because he has the soul of a-"

"Of what? Of a Dragmire?" Malon challenged, cutting her off. In a single word, her voice turned icy.

Kuroko sensed she was on thin ice. She took a moment to breathe before whispering, "He isn't just one of us, Malon. He is the very demon our ancestors summoned that cursed us. All of the hatred we have garnered... he is the source of it!"

Malon abruptly stood. The chair she sat in clattered to the floor. Kuroko shut her mouth, as the personage of Malon had changed in an instant. Her father had been of Qin, so her skin was pinkish-white and her eyes were green, but her hair was distinctly Dragmire. Never had it seemed so obvious as now. Her hair almost seemed to spark into flames before Kuroko's eyes. Malon's eyes were wide and stared at her unwaveringly, and her mouth fell in what Kuroko could only feel was disgust.