Ryo's War - War of Words

-Kanyou, Capital of Qin-

With two armies stationed next to the capital city of Kanyou, most found it difficult to enter the city. The main gates were closed. The Mitagi guarded every passage zealously. No one, whether merchant, noble, peasant, or soldier, was allowed entry through even the outermost wall of the city. Were it not for the letter Link showed to the guards, he and Solitare would have been denied as well.

"I-I've never seen the capital under lock down before," Solitare murmured as they were guided through a side passage.

Inside the city, people were going about their business as usual. Link saw there was no curfew enforced, and judging by their subtle expressions, people tried to pretend that nothing serious was happening at all. They seemed to ignore the main street leading to the palace grounds, though. On closer inspection, the end of the road was barricaded by soldiers at every point. In fact, every path leading to a noble's estate was guarded and on high alert. The palace gates themselves were usually closed anyway, but today there were two Fae guarding them as giant statues. Never before had Link seen something like this. It was an impressive display and a show of Qin's divine authority. The fact that Zelda was going this far made Link see it as all the more serious.

The Fae guards did not ask for Link's seal of authority to enter. Instead, they looked at Link, bowed, and allowed him entry. Even if the regular guards did not recognize him, the Fae did, and they had the greater authority.

Once inside the palace courtyard, it was much easier to move around. The guards and soldiers patrolling, which were abnormally high in number, each took note of the two teens as they walked past but did not question it. They likely assumed neither was a concern since they had already made it in this far. Link and Solitare made it to the stairs leading up to the palace before someone finally stopped him.

"It is good that you have come, Link," Shou Hei Kun said. He stepped down from the top of the stairs to greet them.

"You know me?" Link asked.

"I recognize you from years ago when we returned to the capital to see the princess unharmed after the attack."

Link gulped. He remembered feeling back then that this man was sharp and observant. It was just his luck to not only be pinpointed out of the crowd, but remembered too.

Shou Hei Kun's attention briefly turned to Solitare. He bowed slightly. "Pleased to make your acquaintance, young lady. Are you with him?"

"I am his second," Solitare stoically answered.

"And a Sheikah, at that." He glanced between them. "Impressive. Are you assigned to Link, or rogue, I wonder?"

Solitare stiffened. She had not expected such a question. But before she could answer, Link stepped in front of her and said, "Where she goes is up to her. Her clan be damned."

"Naturally, I would not impose otherwise," Shou Hei Kun replied. "Merely a passing thought. What is more pressing, though, is you, Link. I am glad you came when I bid you."

"He was the one to send you the message?!" Solitare gasped.

Shou Hei Kun ignored her. "As the one to inherit the Spear of Nayru from Ouki, I felt you owed it to him to be here, as well as the honor to carry out a mission."

Link crossed his arms. "And what would that be?"

"This I say not as a vassal of Chancellor Ryo, but as a minister of war." Shou looked him carefully in the eye. "Shortly, we will be accepting Riboku into our hall for a meeting. To tell the truth, even I don't know what the Chancellor has in mind for him, but I want you two to hide and act as guards. If I suspect Ryo to be in danger, or if I otherwise decide it is prudent, I want you to cut down Ribo-"