Dragmire's War - Mystery of Link

-Ryo-

Ryo stood outside of the palace. A kettle of tea sat on the table beside him. Steam gently rose from its lips. In the cool night air the only thing that disturbed it was the wind, the snapping of flags, and the torches illuminating the otherwise blank canvas. The city was hushed. Even the nightlife laid itself down to sleep. The news of Zhao's invasion had stilled the heart of Qin itself, and all men and woman seemed to pray in silence. The temple had never been fuller.

The torch besides Ryo went out, and Ryo didn't have to turn to know there was a presence there. He was left in darkness.

"What is your report?" Ryo asked.

"I investigated the boy, Link, no family name, as you requested."

"Good. Proceed."

"He joined Princess Zelda's party in the village of Jouto. He was a slave there, and has been recently freed for assisting the Princess in retaking the throne. As payment for his service in defeating the rogue Sheikah, Zant, he was sent to Ouki Mitagi for formal training. No report has come in since."

Ryo hummed to himself. Yes, that tends to happen when the only report coming from Ouki is caught in transit. Admittedly, Ryo considered he may have made an error in burning the letter rather than allowing it to reach Impa, as the letter intended. However, she would have a keen eye and would notice the seal had been broken.

"Continue. I hope that is not all there is to it. Your reputation is supposed to be professional."

"I entered the village of Jouto. Masquerading as a well-informed traveller I inquired further into him. He is a thirteen year old boy who was taken in by the plantation owner as a slave. He is a war orphan. He has a reputation for working hard, talking loudly and often, and... training daily to one day obtain a high rank in the army."

"An interesting dream, he has. He very nearly made it, too. Not bad for a slave. You usually don't see them so motivated."

"Yes, well... it all stems from his boasting of being the son of a great general."

Now this drew Ryo's attention. Up to this point there had been nothing of note. He had put it together that Princess Zelda had used a body double, he wasn't dumb. He hadn't known she had gone through Jouto before attacking the capital, but it was a detail of minor consequence.

But for Link to boast of being the son of a great general.

Ryo mused, "Interesting. Explains the ambition. Generals tend to father a great many bastards. If he has proof, then it is worth something. Is there any proof to this claim?"

"The townsfolk said a soldier had brought the boy to the Mayor's doorstep as a babe, with the message that his mother was a great general. Since then, that is what the boy has held onto dearly."

"Mother?" Ryo questioned.

"Correct. That is the claim."

Ryo chuckled. "Clearly someone has their facts confused. Is there anything more?"

"No, sir. If I may, there doesn't seem to be much to him. Empty claims and boasting gives the boy ambition, and admittedly luck and some skill had gotten him as far as he did. Yet..."

"Yet? You have further thoughts on this?"

The spy cleared his throat. "If this is all there is to him... then why would the Chancellor have him executed in private?"

"A good question. A very good question. That is the question I had in mind in asking for your services." Ryo stroked his beard in thought. "Thank you for your services. If there is nothing more, then I suggest you leave."