Zant's War - Attack on the Palace

This chapter, and the next couple, will be longer than usual as a lot happens.

-Link-

Link's eyes snapped open.

Every inch of his body ached and was weary. He was fairly sure something in his torso was broken. So far as evenings went, this was not one he wanted. If anything he wanted to go back to sleeping. He nearly did, but a fragment of memory drifted into his thoughts. Remembering the importance of it, he snatched onto it with all of his will.

Zelda was in danger!

Link growled to himself in frustration. What kind of a general would he be if scratches, bruises, and a broken bone or two stopped him when he knew what he needed to do? Okay, so perhaps the broken bone was a bit more of a big deal, but Link was anything if not stubborn.

Link put his hands on the stone wall and stumbled to his feet. Blood stained his hair and face, but for some reason he no longer felt he was going to throw up from a concussion. No... Perhaps there was a reason.

Link looked down at his hand. The triangle was warm against his flesh.

"Thanks, Farore." Link whispered.

Link didn't know for certain of Farore had stepped in, but perhaps it didn't matter. He had faith. He could stand. He could hold a sword. That was all he needed.

Link picked up the sword left behind by Kei Ki, and scavenged around the area for Midna's sword. To his great joy, it was still there in the back room among the bodies. Much of the jewelry and gold was missing from the room, the bandits must have stolen from the church, but mysteriously they missed his sword.

Link grasped Midna's sword and instantly felt better. It was like being reunited with an old friend. The sword brought him comfort and focus. He hardened his gaze on it. "Watch over me, Midna. Sorry, but I'm going to get you a bit dirty."

Link raced out of the church and took a left towards the palace. The night was peaceful and calm. A few guards marched the streets, while peasants lingered for the nightlife. One would think there was no attack on the palace in the works. If Link had not heard first-hand the intentions of the assassin he would have thought he had dreamed it all up.

The gates came into view. The guards were not at their posts at the gates to the inner capital. If there was no one to stop him, then he would do what he tried to do last time when he was caught.

He found a stall with flour, stole a handful, covered his hands, and used it to climb. It was an old trick Midna had taught him. Flour absorbed the moister of his body to become incredibly sticky. It was not enough to hold his body up on its own, but it made tight grips and hand holds much easier. One would think he was defying gravity and had the abilities of a spider.

Upon reaching the top of the wall it was immediately evident why there were no guards at the post. They were dead. The guards outside of the palace sector wouldn't know as they could not enter the gates without the gate-lever being operated, and the people would not know there were assassins. At most they might believe the palace was being quiet.

Link patted his hands off quickly to get the white powder off, adjusted his grip on Midna's sword, and did what any logical boy would do in a situation requiring great stealth.

He drew his sword and ran in screaming.

-Ganondorf Dragmire-

The attack on the palace was without warning. One minute Ganon was sitting in his room reading historical records, generously provided by a miffed princess. The next moment he was being locked in because it was for his own safety due to an attack.