Ryo's War - Link's First Rival

-Link-

-Qin/Lorule border-

Time passed. Link's unit stationed itself outside the fortress-city of Xianyang, coordinated with local units to watch the border, made use of the local barracks to supply and rest, and helped ensure the peace. Link's unit acted independently from the city and moved quickly, keeping watch over a wide portion of the Lorule border. They could swiftly force small Lorule units to retreat, and as a result, they quickly built a reputation in the region for being the most active force around.

With Duke Hyou's army having moved south, larger Lorule armies dared to cross the border. One in particular outnumbered Link's patrols three-to-one, forcing the Qin back. Link's scouts saw the conflict, and the main unit rushed in to help. Being independent also meant that they had the self-authority to cross Lorule's border briefly enough to attack armies from behind.

Link planned to do just this, but to his surprise, the command structure of the Lorule unit was already cut down. Enemy soldiers everywhere were in disarray. The hill, with Lorule flags burning, was occupied by another Qin force.

"They actually managed to kill the enemy commander before us?" Kyo Gai asked. "Who are they?"

Hei excitedly pointed at the new army. "It's a cavalry unit! I've never seen so many horses!"

A soldier from the cavalry unit, an older gentleman, rode forward, eyed the flag of Qin they held, and barked, "You foot soldiers! State your affiliation!"

He said it with such strength that Link's peasant army tensed. One of the squad-leaders saluted nervously. "W-we are the special three-hundred-man Link unit affiliated with the Qin Xianyang garrison!" His composure faltered even more. "...May I ask who you are?"

"What?!" The older man yelled in shock.

Like him, the other cavalry soldiers were surprised. They whispered amongst themselves. "This is the Link unit? The one we heard of?"

Link growled and stepped to the front. "What's the matter?"

Out of the ranks of the cavalry rode a man Link recognized. Immediately, he felt his aggravation increase tenfold. Of course that annoying bastard was here, he thought.

The old man said, "We are the Ouhon unit, a special three-hundred-man unit also assigned to Xianyang." 

Ouhon Mitagi rode forward. Link glared up at him. In turn, Ouhon looked down on him coldly. "I see... so this is your unit."

"A three-hundred-man special unit?!" Someone in Link's force gasped. "So they're just like us!"

Everyone grew silent at this remark. Link's scrappy infantry unit stared at Ouhon's cavalry with their polished armor and powerful spears. In turn, Ouhon's army on horseback stared down at them and their crummy, stolen equipment.

The Mitagi bursted in laughter.

"Wha?" Hei gasped. Kyo Gai gaped, and Den Yuu grimaced. Solitare narrowed her eyes under her hood. Link growled and shook in anger. The cavalry continued to laugh until tears poured from their eyes.

"What are you bastards laughing at!?" Link barked.

Ouhon smirked. He chuckled, "Please forgive their rudeness, but there is a reason for this. The unit we have heard so much of these days as the most active in this area with the highest number of victories... As an identical three-hundred-man unit, honestly, we were quite wary. But never would we have thought that you would turn out to be a unit of peasants like the rumors said! Everyone here is so shocked that they can hardly restrain themselves."