Chapter 2

The plane lands smoothly on the ground and the people around us start clapping happily.
"Why are they clapping?", Elise rolls her green eyes and I laugh.
"They are grateful that the pilot didn't kill us", I smile.
People around us are getting up trying to exit the airplane as soon as possible.
"I will never understand why people get up before the doors are even open", I mumble and look around my seat, making sure I dont forget something.
Finally the plane is empty enough for us to get up as well.
"In a few minutes we will smell the fresh British air", Elise announces like a tour guide and leads the way towards the baggage claim.
"We are in London, I doubt that there is any fresh air here", I remark and she pushes me slightly.
I spot my black suitcase with a blue bow on it quickly and struggle to get it off the conveyor belt.
Elises suitcase is way lighter so she volunteers to carry my other suitcase until we arrive at the bus stop.
Along with hundreds of other tourists and businesses people we wait patiently for the right bus to arrive.
The landlord was friendly enough to send me specific directions on how to get to my new flat.
Elise has taken it on her to guide us since I would probably get us lost in the first twenty minutes.
The bus is crowded and I hold on tightly to my suitcase, hoping that the drive will be over soon.
It feels like the driver is racing all the cars and busses around him, we fly through the streets of London, nearly falling over when the driver breaks in front of a red traffic light or the next bus stop.
Elise gives me a look that tells me that she feels as uncomfortable as I do and we both sigh in relief when we finally arrive the bus stop that we have to get off.
"Get used to it Vicky", she laughs as she checks her phone and I sigh again, this time because I know this will be part of my daily life now.
"We should be near now", Elise tells me and starts walking again.
My stomach makes a noise just as we pass a small co-op corner store and I stop Elise.
"Can we get some food? Maybe some water too?", I ask her pleadingly and she nods happily.
We decide that I will wait outside with all our luggage, since we will block the whole store if we'd enter it with three suitcases and she will grab us some food.
While I wait I look around and take in all of my surroundings.
The buildings all look the same, a brownish-grey facade with some balconies that face the busy street.
Next to the small store are some overfilled trash cans and it smells like piss.
I turn in to the other direction, a sign for an underground station is in the distance but I can't make out what it says.
A cat crosses the sidewalk and disappears between two houses and I wonder if I will ever feel at home here.
Elise comes back with two plastic bags filled with food and water.
"He didn't understand that I didn't want a bag", she hands me a water bottle and we continue the walk to my new flat.
"I will reuse them for sure, don't worry Elise", I tell her with a smile.
I know that she hates single used plastic ever since she volunteered at a turtle rescue shelter on Bali.
Since then she signed a thousand petitions to ban single use plastic bags and went to many protests.
I love her passion for it but sometimes she gets a little bit too much in to it.
"It has to be one of these two buildings", Elise stops in her tracks and holds her phone up to my face, showing me that the screen says that we have arrived at our destination.
I get the key out of the front pocket of my backpack and unlock the door.
The overwhelming smell of weed and piss hits us and I cover my nose with my t-shirt.
The elevator has a handwritten note on it telling us that it is out of order and Elise makes a face of discomfort.
We use up the rest of our energy as we carry the luggage up to the fifth floor where my new flat is situated.
"What if it is worse inside?", I ask nervously as I play with the keys in my hand.
"We will find out now", Elise takes the key from me and unlocks the door, leading us inside.
The smell is gone and it looks decently, not like the pictures I got sent by the landlord but it is alright.
"We will make it work",Elise comforts me and throws her backpack on the bed that is pushed against the window.
We decide to eat first and I head to the kitchen area to get us plates and glasses.
Luckily I rented the flat fully furnished and equipped because it would have been a nightmare to try to build furniture with Elise.
As I open the drawers to look for some cutlery I suddenly have the handle in my hand and I laugh.
"Don't break everything on the first day",Elise joins as she arranges the food on the small wooden kitchen table.
We enjoy our sandwiches with crisps and I mention that I definitely need some plants in here.
"You will need something other being alive in here when I am gone", my best friend tells me with her mouth filled with white bread and cheese.
I had pushed the thought of Elise leaving in less than a week deep into my brain but it resurfaces from time to time, making my stomach ache and my heart heavy.
She is my best friend and the person I would do anything for and with and without her I am only half as outgoing and funny.
"Don't worry Vic", she reaches over the table and touches my bare arm.
Our eyes lock and we both know that whatever she is trying to say will make my brain spiral so she stays quiet and we clean up the leftover food.
The door of the wardrobe is wonky and a few shelves from the kitchen cabinet are broken but other than that and the fact that the bathroom light doesn't work the flat is perfectly fine to me.
Traveling made us both exhausted so we decide to call it an early night and head to bed.
Elise had made my bed while I had managed to unpack half of one of my suitcases.
We snuggle up under the duvet and the familiar smell of my own bedding calms my nerves.
"We need to go shopping tomorrow and you will need some blinds", Elise groans and points to the thin curtains that barely block out any light from the street below it.
"We will", I yawn and I feel myself drift into sleep while my thoughts are still racing through my mind, not letting me relax fully.