Ryo's War - War of Words

Start from the beginning

"I refuse," Link interrupted.

"Link, do not mistake this meeting as anything but a war of its own right. A war we must win."

"If I killed him like that, I wouldn't be able to look Ouki in the eye in the next realm. I... appreciate the gesture of choosing me, though. I thank you for sending for me, but I refuse to tarnish the purpose of Riboku's death."

"You think there is a purpose?"

"Why else are there trials? When we defeat and kill Riboku, it should be where we prove ourselves greater, not as cowards who hide in backroom deals."

Shou was silent a moment. "I can respect the ideal. Your thoughts follow a Mitagi form. I am sure Ouki, the man we all want to avenge, would agree with you, but I do not. Link, the dead have fallen and are but dust. This is war. You are a soldier. The path you walk now is at best the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell."

"Be that as it may," Link said firmly.

"Very well," Shou relented. "But know there are others present who will jump at the opportunity." He stepped aside, and Link's eyes widened in surprise. Behind where he stood, mingling and talking, were Moubu, Geoffrey, Matsubi, and Ki. "Like you, I sent for them. They witnessed the death of Ouki. Geoffrey declined as well, but I feel the rest will not..." He slowly went back up the stairs, having said his piece. "You should join the assembly, then, Link. It will be soon."

In the distance, Matsubi caught sight of Link and waved. Link raised his fist in return but entered a side door. From there, he and Solitare made their way through the halls and into the central chamber as servants and ministers hurried around them. He chose a place to sit towards the back with the lower officers and servants. Solitare sat next to him and held her guard up. Even if Link had not noticed, she saw a number of Sheikah hidden throughout the palace.

"I've never seen so many ministers before," Link murmured. The room was packed with rarely an empty seat.

"This is the combined presence of every major family and clan in Qin," Solitare told him. "Han, Kai, Ryou, Mitagi, Sheikah, Ki, Mou, Shukyou, Shiyuu, and more. Even the Majoran ambassador is here with his wolf."

Link gulped. The room was stifling from the many powerful people present. He also saw several generals and commanders, those he knew and ones he did not. He tried to see over everyone's head for a particular Dragmire but failed to see him. For that matter, the Fae with the usually glowing green eyes was absent too.

"You can't wear that." Link and Solitare looked up to see a royal guard standing over them, his attention on Solitare. "The hood," He explained.

"Why not?" Link asked defensively.

"It's fine, Link. He is just doing his job," Solitare whispered. "The last thing we need is to make people nervous."

Link whispered that he didn't like it, but she ignored him as she slowly lowered the scarf around her neck and self-consciously unwrapped the cloth atop her head. The guard's eyes widened briefly at seeing the scars, but he said nothing. Satisfied that her head was fully exposed, he nodded and marched back to his post.

Link saw her shake out of the corner of his eye. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," She whimpered.

"Sit behind me if you must. You have nothing to be ashamed of." Solitare took him up on that offer. Link scooted forward while sitting on the floor, giving her a place to sit behind him with a pillar concealing the scars from most of the room. Unfortunately they were not ministers and therefore did not warrant a pillow.