Chapter 96

New Year's Eve, December 1993

Lee and Alexander decided to host a New Year party in their home and invited Maddie, Alex, Peter, Alexander's best friend and their respective families. The home felt very cosy with kids running around and the fireplace burning.

The three girl friends were drinking some white wine on the balcony while their husbands took care of the kids.

Wow Lee... This wine is fantastic! Maddie praised.

Thank you! It's from this year harvest! Lee said.

A giant silence followed.

Lee, we need to talk! Alex broke the silence.

Alex, not now... Maddie warned.

What? About what? The host was very confused.

Yes, now! Lee... You know we love you, no matter what! So... You need to tell us!

Tell what?

Who is Ana's real father? Maddie said next to the door she just closed.

Lee looked confused to the women.

Excuse me?

Lee, we- Alex tried to speak.

No! How dare you? Lee was dumbfounded. When you were pregnant, did I question the baby's fatherhood?

Maybe the way we quest- Maddie was already sorry she allowed that conversation.

I did not! Lee shouted taking a quick glance at the living room to make sure she didn't grabbed the attention of the men. Why do you even ask that? No, why do you even suspect that Al wasn't Ana's father...?

Lee, the child looks nothing like Alexander... Maddie said quietly.

She's a new-born! You, better than anyone, should know that a baby changes features everyday... Today, she looks like me, tomorrow like Al's mother, the day after that she looks like my dad and the day after that she looks like Alexander!

We know Lee, I'm sorry we asked... But you should know we are not the only ones suspecting it! Alex caressed the friend's arm.

Who else?

Amee, Alexander's mother...

Of course... Lee rolled her eyes. I'm not surprised... The woman never liked me!

Really? Maddie just wanted to talk about other subject.

Yes... You should hear what she said when Al told her about our marriage! "She's a model", "That woman always made a fool out of you and she is not stopping now!" She huffed. She would only be satisfied if Ana looked like her!

_________________________________________________

the plot thickens