Choices & Risks

Photo by Thomas Millot on Unsplash 

When I wake up, all I see is sky. No clouds, no breeze. Just pale, blue sky in an unmoving world. What my head is resting on stirs a little and I look up to see Percy sleeping peacefully, a little drool out the side of his mouth. I smile.

When I sit up, he releases a breath, stirring, "Time to get up already? I was so comfy."

I sigh, looking out at the kingdom as the sunrises, "Unfortunately. Big day."

My legs grunt at me in protest when I stand, stretching out a hand to Perce. He grabs it, letting me help him up. The atmosphere around us is still, almost as if it knows what today will bring.

Cruz's POV:

The tunnel is dark and cold. My fingers light up, a blue flame licking the air. A malicious smile carves its way across my face. I have awaited today for ten years. And there is no way it will be taken away to some agent who doesn't know what she's gotten herself into.

I watch the flame as it casts my shadow against the wall. This whole place deserves to be burned to the ground.

And burn it shall.

Annabeth's POV:

The palace is practically buzzing. My entire body itself is buzzing.

Shaking out my muscles, I enter my guard room after saying goodbye to Percy. The look in his eyes, yes, had nerves in it, but there was determination there. We are all feeling the climax nearing and it's only a matter of time when we'll find out who comes out alive.

Wetting my hands, I wash my face with cold water, taking this time to clear my busy mind. The soap lathers over my face and I look out of the room at my suit which will be under my gown for the ceremony. Leaning down, I splash water over my face, washing away the bubbly facewash. For a split second all I hear is the water rushing down, feel the cold droplets stream down my face and chin, and see nothing but my eyelids. For a split second all is peaceful.

But I don't have the luxury of forgetting my problems, my tasks for the day. Patting my face with a clean towel, I remind myself of the goal for today. Takedown Cruz to then cut the head off the Northern Rebel's plans.

I think of Percy and the girls, their families, the kingdom. Everyone is only thinking of the winner of the Selection, which girl will become their future Queen and co-rule with Percy. But none of them know the sinister plans under the radar.

Yes, I want Percy to pick me. The thought of him with someone else gives my heart a painful squeeze. But I came into this palace for one goal. To take down these rebels who view destruction a way to peace. Who terrorize villages. Who have costed so many lives. And it has put me in a place where I need to put my job, other's lives over my happiness. I'm getting ready for battle, not a proposal.

The suit is easy to slip one, but the gown gives a little more resistance without Clove, Katie, or Andy here to help. The gown I wear is dark, navy blue with a simple design, the skirt flowing loosely at my ankles. I put on no jewelry but my earpiece.

Tapping the earpiece, I speak, "I want to scan the party area before guests go in, including the kitchen."

Thalia responds, "I'll meet you up there in five."

"Frick," I say, hurrying to the mirror. I grab some mascara, lightly applying it and then putting lip balm on. That'll have to do, I seriously doubt Cruz will care how I look. The country will when Percy announces you as their future Queen, a tiny voice pesters me. I just ignore it, running out the door, tucking a couple of knives into my thigh strap.