Maleficent Battle

Photo by Clark Van Der Beken on Unsplash 

The room breaks out in screams. I peer over my shoulder, Percy protesting to get me to safety and see smoke clouds gradually filling the room. They threw a smoke bomb in.

I yank Percy up, shoving him to the side entrance. The smoke begins to fill my lungs, resulting in Percy and I coughing. My throat burns and my mind dizzy. But I force myself to stay alert. The fate of millions on my hands is what keeps me present. 

I see a rebel grab Elise and I move to make a run to her. But instead, Elise gets herself free by using the tactics I taught her, elbows the guy and then judo flips him. Classic move. 

I turn back to Percy once Elise is running after her Sally and Tyson. I push him through the small, narrow passageway, saying, "Go to where we told you. Now."

He looks at me desperately, "I can't leave you."

I get a flashback from the last time we were in this similar situation, me asking him to run. "I need you to run, Percy. This is my job. You need to do yours. Go."

Without waiting for a response, I shut the door firmly and turn back to the unseeing room. Some people are still stumbling out but mostly it is clear from what little I can see.

A figure stands in the middle of the room. I don't have to come closer to know it's Cruz. She's in her normal disguise and me in mine, however, my mask isn't a part of the getup anymore.

"Agent, you've been snooping around the tunnels," Cruz comments.

I walk slowly toward her, my hand skimming a knife's handle on my thigh, "Had to make sure you weren't up to something."

"You are so naïve," Cruz laughs. I watch her in confusion.

At first, we just stand, the smoke drifting around us. I resist the urge to cough and squeeze my eyes shut. I shift, crouching for a split second before springing. Whipping out my knife, our metal weapons clink at impact. Cruz just laughs, knocking my knife aside easily. I pull out another, coming into a defensive stance.

Cruz purrs, "You forget."

"Forget what?" I ask, breathlessly, pushing her gradually out of the Great Room. We move around each other in a deadly kind of dance, the blade just missing me on several occasions, sometimes slicing an arm or leg slightly.

"You forget you aren't the only one with a trick or two up her sleeve."

I ram my shoulder into my ear, shouting, "THE BOMBS!"

Jason replies, "Already on it. I'm with Percy."

"WHAT!" I shriek, blocking Cruz's attack with trembling arms.

Thalia cuts in, "I'm with Leo, we're in the ballroom, keep your fight away from us."

"The bomb is counting down now!" I hear Leo say frantically.

People are crowded in the hallway, frightened expressions on their faces. I meet the Selected girl's eyes, whom I've become friends with, and notice Hasina and Paris not here. Cruz draws my attention back my throwing a knife to the side. I thrust my hand out, stopping the knife in midair just as it's about to hit the man who once called me weak, not strong enough. He cowers on the wall as I whip the knife back at Cruz.

Katie runs down the hall, not dressed in her normal maid outfit anymore. "Backup, here."

I don't have time to smile, instead of blocking each of Cruz's attacks on others. There are too many people here, too much risk for casualties. However, Cruz has similar plans. I watch as she bolts down the hall. Katie and I chase her, adrenaline pumping through us.