Watch Your Step

Photo by Christina Gottardi on Unsplash 

Percy's POV:

The ball begins, already dragging on and I keep my tense smile plastered on my face. The thoughts of seeing Annabeth again persist to be the center of my attention as I spin Monica around. I give my head a slight shake, forcing myself to be present in this moment. Before I entered the ballroom, Thalia notified me Annabeth just came into the gates of the city. And then Monica pulled me onto the dance floor in seconds, her eyes shining up at me.

Monica does actually draw me back to the present, but not in the most pleasant way. I frown in concern, gripping her shaking arms gently. Her mouth is pressed tightly shut and her face pale. "Monica?"

She holds up a hand, some muffled noise coming out. Before I can offer to lead her out, Monica gags, her hand coming up to her mouth – eyes filled with horror and alarm. I step in front of her, blocking Monica from the rest of the ballroom to see. Monica tries to compose herself but the second her gags again, she darts through the door to the empty hallway. I watch as Hasina goes to her aid, a couple of other girls trailing before they disappear through the doors. I pinch the bridge of my nose wanting so badly for this night to be over.

Annabeth's POV:

I wince as my knees dig into the hard, steel roof below me. The rebel guard behind me yanks my earpiece out, discarding it into a trash bin on the side of the house bellow. I resist against him, but his knee makes an impact on my bad side and I hunch over, squeezing my eyes against the pain. I call in all my training, twisting around to get him off but he only punches my face. I fall back onto the steel roof, the edge of it cutting the side of my neck a bit.

I cough as the guard takes my arms again, forcing me to kneel on the roof before and above the most dangerous woman in the kingdom. Cruz talks through her mask, her voice clear as day but I can tell the pitch is changed to a lower tone. But I already know who you are. Hasina. I've never hated someone more.

I seethe down at Cruz, annoyed at her silence. Finally, she says, "I do admit, your escape has made quite the impression, especially in headquarters."

"Your welcome, it was rather dull in there," I say, my voice slurring a bit more than I would like through my blood loss and exhaustion.

I hear her laugh, "I agree with you on that."

"What're you going to do with me?" I voice the question that's been on my mind since the second my knees hit the roof.

Cruz doesn't budge at the inquiry, only speaking slightly above a whisper – the night air louder, even, as she says, "I want you to know I am watching your every move. I want you to know the bombs are still in the palace. I want you to know I am in control of these streets, the palace, and all that's beyond it. I want you to remember how powerful I am."

I swallow. "Why is this important for me to know?" But inside I remember every word she utters. Not to reveal anything vital in a public place. The bombs somewhere in the palace. Not to trust anyone but my comrades. Not to underestimate her.

Her laugh is haunting and soft, not the harsh cackle you'd expect from someone like her. "Because I have been dealing with agents for a long time and I know your every move a hundred steps before you make them." She lets that sink in, watching my confusion rise before speaking again, her voice low and threatening, "It's always fun to remind them I told them so as they watch their mission fail in front of their dying eyes. Only difference is your mission is more costly."

I watch her nod to the person behind me, gripping my arms so tightly I know I'll have marks there, before flicking her wrist. Immediately, I spring to my feet, angling my body to face her and the two other rebels, watching them disappear as quickly as they appeared. This alarms me. How many rebels are there truly in the palace? I croak, "Why are you letting me go?" Gosh, everything aches.