Unknown Place

The entire ride from Hudson to Angeles my eyes were gazing out the window, wide. I only took my eyes away from the view when the girl began talking to me.

"You're Annabeth, right?" the choppy brown-haired girl asks, the carriage jolting us around. My eyes meet hers and I discover they aren't just one colour. Hmm.

"Uh, yeah. And you are..." I draw out my voice, smiling politely.

"Piper. Piper McLean." She grins.

I take in her champagne color dress with soft pink stitching. The dress is definitely expensive, one that I'll probably get as a day dress in the palace. The name Mclean also rings a bell.

She begins to gush about the weeks to come and life at the palace, I zone out, trying to pinpoint her name. I hate it when I do not know anything. 

McLean, McLean, McLean, McLean...McLean! Her father is a famous actor and he secretly supports us, working alongside the royals. I wonder if Piper knows.

"Are you listening?" she asks, quirking an eyebrow.

Shaking my head, I blink a few times, "No sorry, I just thought your last name sounded familiar." 

A blush creeps up on my face from what I just blurted out. She won't want to be my friend now that she thinks I'm a fan of her father, which I am not. 

She laughs. "It's seriously okay, people ask me all the time about it. Yes, my father is Tristan McLean." She then leans in and my heart drops when she says, "And by the way? I know why you're here." 

"For Prince Percy?" I ask innocently.

She gives me a look. "I've visited the base before, also I was there with you when we left." 

I slap a hand to my forehead, laughing with her. "Yeah, sorry," I say sheepishly. 

"Even though I am here for Prince Percy, I was told to about your mission and if you need anything, you have a friend." She winks and relief washes over me. 

I thought that through all the times with the debutantes I would have to suffer through unbearable cattiness but I'm beginning to think that most girls aren't exactly like that.

"You have no idea how relieved I am to have a friend here." I exhale, laughing in relief.

Piper's smile widens, "We're going to have so much fun!" 

We both begin giggling and talking about future adventures the rest of the road trip. Maybe this experience won't be so bad after all. I softly smile, gazing out the window.

*~*

~*~

"Oh my goodness, it's simply magical!" Piper squeals, clasping our hands together, her eyes staring at the palace.

My eyes fall onto the palace and I am not overexaggerating, it is phenomenal. The beautiful spirals and grand build of it all. My eyes take in the architecture, my mouth falling open.

When they finally open the door for us to get off my thoughts begin spurring. I am about to embark on the most dangerous and difficult mission I have ever faced. 

No pressure, right?

As our carriage stops at the grand staircase leading up to the doors, the guys and Katie's carriage leads them to the service corridors. Getting out, more carriages begin pulling up and girls mill around, already forming alliances.

They around gush about what they'll be requesting the seamstress to make to be wearing tomorrow to meet Prince Percy the picnic in the gardens and then the ball that night for the grand opening of the Selection. They all practically dance into the palace, their graceful feet making no noise.