New Mission

Photo by William Daigneault on Unsplash 

It was a normal morning. 

Everyone was coming in for the day to input their data from a mission. I am still young and still a beginner in the eyes of most. But in the eyes of the few who've seen my work, know I am more skilled than half the people here (their words not mine).

Due to my low ranking and how long I've been here, I do not get placed in missions alone. I have to be accompanied. But I go on a few missions anyway. 

Little did I know; my most important and hardest mission was about to stab me in the back that afternoon.

"Annie!" a girl shouts across the underground room of our military base located on the border of Hudson.

Rolling my eyes, I meet her in the middle of the control room. "You know I hate it when you call me that."

"Which is why I do it." Thalia winks, black, short hair falling into her eyes.

"I am not in the mood," I grumble, my eyes searching for coffee.

Suddenly a cup of steaming coffee is put into my hand by no other, Jason–the blonde headed, striking blue eyed (like Thalia's) boy–Thalia's perfect brother. 

The smell floats up and I sniff, my mouth watering and eyes drooping. "Thanks, Sparky."

"She's in a grumpy mood today," Thalia whispers.

"Whatever." I smirk a little.

We all walk to the meeting room where General Hedge will give us our missions or data instructions for the day. I will no doubt be placed to do paperwork.

"Good morning Cupcakes!" General Hedge greets, his smile splitting his face. "This is no ordinary week. Tonight, on this very Monday, the daughters of Iléa will be announced! With the Selection starting, missions will become busier and more dangerous as we all know the rebels love to attack most in this time frame over the past Selections." He draws that into silence before quirking his eyebrow in amusement, his eyes finding mine.

General Hedge continues, his eyes taking in everyone. "Which is why we have entered a special young lady who I daresay is more intelligent than most her age. Annabeth Chase, will you come up here?" He meets my eyes once again.

Oh no, no, no, no, no, NO.

Gulping, I make my way to the stage, the crowd of soldiers and spies splitting the crowd for me. My heart pounds, but not because of the sheer amount of people I am stepping in front of, no. But because my life might be turned into something a bit more complicated...if what I think is happening is coming true.

General Hedge, who is genuinely happy for me that the Royals have chosen me, faces me with a beaming smile. "Out of every single spy base in the country, you, Annabeth, were chosen. And you will be in the Selection as one of the 35 girls competing for the prince's hand. However, this is not entirely a vacation." 

Of course, it isn't, nothing comes for free.

"Your mission will be to protect the royal family from the inside, and uncover the truth of the Northern Rebels, as one is believed to be spying the palace." Swallowing, I try to level my anxiety. This is not a mission to be taken lightly. "Now," General Hedge says in a less serious tone, "if you were to fall in love with Prince Percy, though it may be complicated to sort out at first, you do have just an equal chance and right as any girl there."

It would be quite complicated, I think internally. The King and Queen are the only ones who know about us right now. They have expressed that they will soon tell their children when they believe it is time, but for now, my identity must stay a secret to Prince Percy. I highly doubt though he'll or I'll fall in love.