Zorix

Photo by Khalid Zia on Unsplash 

I adjust my grip on his forearm. He growls, resisting. I say through a clenched jaw, "Adam Barber, you are under arrest for the murder of Agent Buckly and association with the Northern Rebels."

Jason found proof of his scheming with the rebels, and fingerprints on the murder weapon that was abandoned at the side of Jade's house. I hold him down in the Royal's quarters in the middle of the night. Jason and Thalia come running down the hallway with a pair of handcuffs and extra muscle to keep him from running. Queen Sally and King Poseidon watch in their robes, bedroom door peaked open slightly with jaws dropped. One of their most trusted friends is being arrested for being in a plan to murder them all right in front of them. I don't blame the couple.

Percy doesn't watch his former best friend, but instead, I can feel his eyes piercing me as I struggle against Adam Barber's resistance. At first, he tried to come and help me, but I shouted at him to stay back. Not in anger of our talk from the other night of course but trying to keep a rebel away from their main target no matter the years of friendship between them.

"You can't hold me behind bars for long," he sneers into my face when Jason and Thalia yank him away. "You can't hold all the rebels. We will attack and you will regret this night!" Spit flies through the air as he shouts while being dragged down the hall. "I swear to everything!!"

The silence in the hallway when he's taken out of sight demands to be felt, to be heard. But I ignore the shocked family behind the doors, walking briskly away. This is my job. But I'm starting to feel it's getting too personal and messy to be one at all.

*~*

~*~

Paris and Hasina's party is tonight, beginning at six o'clock. We all get ready in the same room – Piper's – chatter filling the space. Dresses are thrown over chairs and the bed, makeup products spilling over the coffee table and dresser.

Monica shrieks when Paris pokes her side, saying in shock, "Wait, so you put mustard on your eggs?!"

I look to Monica, barking with a laugh, "WHAT."

She holds up her hands in defense, "Okay, okay, listen! It sounds worse than it actually is!"

Piper shakes her head, helping a maid do Hasina's hair, "No honey, it probably tastes worse than it sounds."

I lazily go back to putting on lip gloss, correcting my mistakes every seven seconds. Last night, Adam barber's arrest has made me question everything. I can't stop hearing Cruz's words to me when she let me go, or his screams of revenge fading down the hallway with each ragged cry.

"Annie, snap out of it," Paris chides. "We were talking about vinegar on pizza. Thoughts?"

I smirk, "Why don't we just try it?"

Monica wrinkles her nose, "No way."

Hasina looks behind at us, speaking for the first time since she came in all proper, "I'll try it if you all do."

We stare at her in shock until the room erupts into chaos. Paris screams, jumping up, "I'LL GET THE PIZZA!"

"I'LL GET THE VINEGAR!" Monica cries, a giant smile brightening her face.

"I'LL GET MY SANITY!" Piper shouts.

Then it's just me and Hasina. I sit there awkwardly, unsure of what to say. Luckily, she speaks first, "Annabeth, right?"

"Yeah, and you're Hasina."

She sighs, leaning back into the chair, "I'm nervous for tonight."

"Why?" I tilt my head in confusion and curiosity. Hasina? Nervous? No way.