Last Dance

I run my hands under the soothing water in the washroom. Bringing my hands up, I use the water to smooth my hair into a less ruffled bun from the tunnel. My dress was not that bad just a little dust to wipe off.

I then take the flower soap to lather over my neck before washing it with water, this should mask any smell if I have any clinging to me. As I finish up the door opens and I turn to see Paris come in, grumbling to herself. When she sees me, she immediately pouts, "Annie, Percy still hasn't danced with me."

I give her a reassuring smile, saying, "He will, I'm sure. There are just so many ladies to dance with, he's probably saving the best for last."

"Has he danced with you yet?"

"No," I say, adding to myself: I was in tunnels underground searching for a bomb that may kill us all. Instead, I explain, "I've been farting a lot this evening, and I'm afraid of what dancing will do to me. Don't want to embarrass myself with him."

Paris laughs, "That's a fair point. But hey, he'll have to smell your stink bombs soon enough if you want to marry the guy."

I tense a little when she says 'bombs', but smooth my nerves over knowing it's stupid to get caught up every time I hear the word whatever context it may be in. I force a laugh, "Yeah, I guess so."

Paris shuffles into a stall and I take that as my leave, my mind whirling about where the second bomb could be. I am swept into the ballroom by the King the second I step out of the bathroom. He grips my arm a little tightly.

I look up at him as he and I are forced into a tense dance with everyone. "How may I help you, Your Highness?"

His upper lip lifts a little, and he says gruffly, "I want to know when you'll be good to leave the Selection and work from the side."

The question catches me off guard even though I should've seen it coming. I stumble in my steps a little and say, "Umm, I'm afraid I can't answer that at the moment."

His hand squeezes mine hard, "I know Percy is falling for you. So, for the sake of the kingdom, I need you to be one of the eliminated."

I open my mouth, a strangled sort of sound coming out. "Please, let me stay in," I plead.

King Poseidon's eyes drill into mine, and he commands, "You are to leave the Selection tonight. You will be moved to the guard's quarters where you will continue your mission."

"But – "

"That is an order."

"Yes, Your Highness," I manage out, my throat tight.

I am in a daze for the rest of the night, grim smiles and strained compliments and small talk. But the elimination looms in my mind. And I know I must leave somehow. The King made it clear I must be the one to cut the ties, not him persuading Percy because it would never happen.

Percy finishes a dance with Paris who looks at me grinning. I smile tensely back, turning my attention to Percy as he makes his way toward me. He nudges me, "Up for a dance?"

I nod. We walk onto the dance floor as the lights dim more, the diamonds from the chandeliers above swirling around above and the sparkling lanterns glittering around the room. The music plays a soft melody. He looks into my eyes, love shining upon me and wrapping me in a warm blanket.

I refrain from choking on my words, speaking clearly, "Percy, you have to eliminate me."

The music picks up more and he furrows his eyebrows. "Pardon?"

We spin around, my dress stretching out from me in a sweeping motion. "It was never to be possible anyway, no matter how much we wished it," I continue.

Percy has a clear understanding in his eyes, "My father told you to, didn't he?"

I bow my head, but he lifts my chin up with a finger, tenderly. I look painfully into his eyes, our feet dancing around each other in the middle of the dance floor – the world a blur around us. His sea-green eyes ground me, and I say, "Yes."

The music picks up intensely and Percy picks me up slightly, spinning me around. Couples dance happily around us, as we twirl around one another in a saddened sort of goodbye. I blink back tears as he pulls me closer, his hand splayed out on my lower back, supporting me as we dance.

The dance ends in a spinning of lights around me, Percy and I clutching each other close in the beautiful chaos of it all. We come to an abrupt stop at the last strike of the deep bass from the orchestra, breathing heavily, our noses touching. I sink into a curtsy to compose myself and breathe through my constricting chest.

*~*

~*~

We stand in front of Percy in the empty Great Room, still in our gowns. I clutch Piper and Monica's hands as we wait for him to send two of us home. I hold my head high, hoping he listened to me. But a small part of me wishes he doesn't listen to me and keeps me here.

The King walks into the room, shocking me. He surveys us, his eyes stern. When they reach me, he smiles slightly, saying, "Lady Annabeth Chase, you are eliminated. Your bags are packed, and you are to leave immediately."

In a way, I am glad it was him who said it, not Percy. But now I know Percy was not going to send me home, as he gapes at his father. The King knew Percy would keep me here. Percy bursts, "She is not leaving."

The King turns to him, "She will, and you will allow it. Keep in mind who the King is here. Do I make myself clear?" Percy clenches his jaw staring his father down with more anger than I've ever seen from him. The King screams, "Do I make myself clear?!"

Percy stammers, his voice catching on the one painful word, "Yes."

The King turns to me with hate while Percy turns to me with love and despair. I draw myself up to my full height, letting go of the girl's hands and stepping forward. I curtsey.

Before leaving, I come up close to him. I look up to the King, saying low and dangerously, "What did you say before? For the sake of the kingdom? I am risking my life for the kingdom, not you. I am risking my life for Percy, for Tyson, for Elise, for Queen Sally. Just because I am a girl does not mean I allow love to cloud my judgment on what I'm doing. Do not underestimate me, Your Highness, or any girl for that matter." Hiking my gown up, I march out of the room, a smug smile on my face, lacing through my disbelief and threatening tears.

As I leave, I hear the last name called, "Piper." 

Percy has now narrowed it down to Monica, Paris, and Hasina. The final three. Cruz is one step closer to tearing it all down. And I will stop her, even if it's to my final breath. 

Have a great day/night wherever you are! - The Fangirl