Elimination

I notice the pain first. The throbbing of my head, the soreness of my limbs and the heavy sting of my knife cuts. "Oh gosh," I groan, bringing a hand to my head. The action itself cracks a few joints.

"Oh, she's awake!" Someone says frantically. My eyes crack open, dulled sunlight greeting me. See-through drapes are pulled over the window and a couple of figures stand over me. The person continues talking, "We were so surprised when we were called in at midnight! The guards carried you into a random room and it was quite the hassle to get everyone out! The Prince and Queen were so persistent on staying till you woke up but of course, the Prince can't know who you are, and we needed to undress you to tend to your wounds! Not to mention we needed to get you to your room!"

Rubbing my eyes, all I say is, "Can you please stop talking for a second?"

Silence greets me and I heave a breath, wincing. Forcing myself to open my eyes fully, I allow them to adjust. I lay on my bed in my room, my dress still thrown onto a chair when I left in a hurry. I am dressed in my nightgown, bandaged. To my left is my wall with photos tacked on, and to my right are Clove, Andy, Katie and to my surprise, Jason. He grins at me, "Always cranky in the morning."

I punch his arm lightly. "Nice to see you too. How long have I been out?"

Clove shrugs, addressing the cut on my forehead, "6 hours, not bad."

Katie approaches a light, ocean blue day dress in hand. "You've got two hours before you need to be down for breakfast."

I try to sit up, but pain shoots through my rib cage, "Why?! Last night I fought off like twenty rebels!"

"Ahh, but Agent Chase did that, not Lady Annabeth. Now, up you go, I know you've been in worse shape before," She says, before adding with a smirk. "And went to a wedding that same day." The painful day crosses my mind, but I groan in frustration at the situation at hand.

"Can't we just say I got a headache from the night of dancing?"

Clove steps into the conversation, while cleaning the wound with a painful sting, "You only did one dance remember? Then you left."

"Besides," Jason says. "It will look suspicious, especially since that so-called woman warrior had blonde hair." He smiles, before kissing me on the forehead. "I'll check in on you later, also be sure to inform Thalia. I'm sure she's bursting right now that you haven't written."

"I know I should've thought things through, but I was in a hurry!" I shoot back. He rolls his eyes before walking out. Sighing, I sit up, gritting my teeth. Clove steps away, done with the wound for now. "I will go. But under one condition. I am not wearing a corset, those things are already painful, let alone bruised ribs."

"Done," Katie says smiling.

***

"Anne is going to kill you," Piper whispers when I tell her about the corset.

"She can join the line," I sigh, running a hand through my loose hair.

We walk down the massive hallway toward the staircase, debutante's continuing to mingle in their rooms, as today is apparently important. Invitations are going to be given by tonight for the museum and who goes on the first date with the prince is being told today as well.

Piper looks as me softly, "I knew it was you the moment I saw you. That fight was..."

I watch her search for words before smiling myself, saying, "Eventful."

Piper laughs, "Eventful, yes, it certainly was. You packed quite a punch. There were many times I was about to run over and help you. Especially when that one scary, big, tall man began punching your senseless and making your dodge his knives! But one of the men held me back, saying it's okay and he had me. I think he thought I was trying to run out of the ballroom or something."