The Silhouetted Man

I stare up at my ceiling, the moon casting a glow into my room. I replay seeing the figure in my head over and over and over again. Exhaling I force my tired limbs to move. Walking over to the closet, I glance at the time. The ball is still another two hours since I left after the first dance. Which means whoever this figure is, could still very well be in the palace.

At first, I thought it could've been a maid or a bachelor from the ball, but the way the figure moved and disappeared so quickly was as if they didn't want to be seen. What worries me most the amount of time I've wasted lying in bed, replaying the scene and trying to decide what to do.

Grabbing my mission suit, I grin at the thought of the other girls seeing me in pants. Sliding on the stretchy fabric that clings to my muscular legs, I take stock of my supplies. A dagger glistens in the moonlight, with a rope and small knives on its sides. Before I grab my top, I slip the knives into the straps on my thighs. Tying the rope firmly around my waist, I hide the dagger in the strap, concealed by the rope.

Slipping my dark purple, long-sleeved top on, I give one look in the mirror before heading to the door. Quiet as a mouse, I sneak down the hallway, my eyes scanning every crevice.

I try to figure out why the figure would be here, why they would be sneaking around now. Music from the ball fills my ears once again and I feel my mouth part. The ball. Of course, the Northern Rebels would never miss this opportunity to disarm a few guards and hijack the ball. Bringing a hand to my forehead, I curse at my stupidity.

I begin to walk faster, my mind formulating a plan. If I were them, I would wait till the first hour was over – which is right about now – when everyone is oblivious and drunk from alcohol. I would take out each guard from the exits and disarm them silently around the shadows of the ballroom. I would also disguise myself as a guest. But that brings out a problem, the figure was in the debutante hallway. Why were they there and not the ball? Which meant they had to excuse themselves to go to the washroom, while the guards are being knocked unconscious, before appearing ten minutes before the trouble begins as not to look too suspicious. And it's approximately taken me six minutes to get down to the ballroom level, dressed in gear. Which means they'll be hosting their first attack in the Selection season soon.

Usually, the Northern Rebel's first attacks are warnings that the real attack is coming. And now that Prince Percy is of age to marry, they need to kill him in order to stop the royal line since Queen Sally can't have any more children. But then Prince Tyson and Princess Elise pose a threat to the rebels as well, which means they'll be in line to be killed. And now with a rebel scum in the palace, the chances of all of that is greater than ever. Why didn't King Poseidon tell me the number of risks in this mission to them? Surely, it's not a tiny mission.

I break into a run, following the sound of music. I am fully aware of one potential death tonight though, the Northern Rebels always leave harm in their wake and at least one death, even the warning attack. And I need to be the only one getting harmed tonight by them. On the bright side, I saw the camera crews left. They only stay for the opening.

Through the door I see people dancing spin around and around, but to the side, a knocked-out guard slumps against the wall. My eyes trail down the hallway, seeing guard after guard on the floor. Oh dear. I need to start moving. I pause before running in fully to the ball. The King and Queen need to be noticed. I also have no disguise; I will be recognized right away. Dam it. Spinning on my heel, I bolt up one flight of stairs to where the King and Queen sit, overlooking the ball. Nodding to their guards, I walk past in a hurried manner. Queen Sally is the first to notice me, and I make sure to crouch down in the shadows as not to be seen from the ballroom floor.

"Annabeth what're you doing here? And why are you dressed like that?" She asks, taking in my outfit.

The realization then hits her eyes and I nod. "I saw a figure in the hallway of the debutantes and raced down here. Before coming up, I saw the unconscious guards in the exits of the doors."