Northern Rebel Headquarters: Part 2

Photo by Dima Dmytro on Unsplash 

Annabeth's POV:

"Come on," I mutter to myself as I shove open the barrack door, leading out. Looking back at the bunks, I re-evaluate myself. I am wearing dark, navy blue cargo pants and have a black t-shirt tucked into my waistline. My hair is pulled back in a tight bun and my face is cleaned up to not be so sooty.

The barracks stare back at me. The room is one rectangle, stretching to the back where there is a small door. There are bunk beds lining the room in rows, on both sides with one main corridor all the way to the back of the room. At the foot of each bed is a massive chest, and another on the wall pressed between each bunk bed. This was the last place our previous agent was before they were found and captured. We still do not know if they died.

I turn away, slipping out the door. The hallway beyond is colder than I expect, and goosebumps run down my arms. My footsteps make no sound which can be both a blessing and a curse. No one can hear my coming, but I can't hear anyone coming either.

"This is where our communications with Agent Buckly ended, we do not have any directions from here on our regarding the map," Katie sighs.

I run my tongue along my teeth in thought. "I'll keep you updated."

"Roger that."

The hallway takes a sharp right and leads into a staircase. I slide the identification badge I stole along the keypad and the door clicks open. "Nice," I whisper, smirking down at the badge.

The stairs are metal and all I hear are the dropping of my boots from each step. The stairs go on and on and on. I pass many platforms, going as low as it will take me. I bet the lowest level is the most important as it is furthest from the ground, from escape.

When I do reach the last platform, the hole keeps going deeper below me. But the stairs stop. I look down into the abyss. "Katie, write something down for me."

"On it."

"The hole around the staircase continues, but the stairs."

"That is weird," she notes.

I push off the railing, turning back to the steel door, muttering, "Which is why I'm getting you to write it down. Heading into the lowest level I can get to."

She stays silent, allowing me to clear my mind. A guard greets me. I offer a smile, "Hey."

He looks at me with a blank expression, "Name."

"Mage Brynn," I respond without a stutter. He looks at the name on my suit, then glimpses the name on my badge. I subtly cover half the identification picture with my thumb.

He then looks at me and for a second I think he sees straight through me. "Business?"

This makes me halt in my tracks, the thoughts in my brain freezing. Think, think, think, think. "I'm here to see Cruz."

The guy cracks a smile. "That's funny, she's at the palace wooing the prince. Now, what's the actual reason."

My heart stops. Cruz is a selected girl. "Uhmm, I came to deliver a message from her to Barns." I come up with the first name that pops up.

"Barns? That lucky loser," the guy shakes his head. "Alright, Barns is in the control room reporting to Cruz's right hand man, Amar." I stare at the guy for a solid two more seconds, baffled I got through that. Who the heck is Barns? I have no freaking idea.

"You looking for Barns?" a boy, looking around the age of Leo, comes to me, as he walks out of what looks to be a files room. I give him a questioning look and he taps his left temple, "Good hearing."