Ast

Photo by Matt Kochar on Unsplash 

Paris whistles, "Annie, you look stunning."

I blush, looking down at the soft yellow gown I wear, it hugging my waist before flowing out at my hips. "Thank you." I look at her black dress, tiny diamonds glittering along the hems. I nudge her, "You don't look too shabby yourself." Paris laughs at this.

"You nervous for the elimination tonight?" she asks as we both make our way to the Great Room for night two of the kingdom parties.

I look at her in surprise, "It's tonight? I thought it was tomorrow."

Paris shakes her head, "No, Anne told us it was tonight...you must've been zoning out as usual. Like girl, what do you have on your mind to risk the wrath of Anne?"

I laugh, "I'm just so tired. I haven't been able to sleep very well, you know, worrying about the outcome of all this." It's closest to the truth I can tell Paris.

"I could not agree more," she smiles. "I hate that we all have to compete against one another, though."

"Yeah, it is unfortunate," I agree.

"Annie! Parrie!" I hear Monica squeal, running to us as we enter the Great Room. "Don't the decorations look amazing!" she gushes.

I look around, seeing the bright yellow flowers on the edges of the round tables scattering the room, a dance floor in the middle. Silk drapes along the walls, offering a cozy and humble effect. Monica is dressed in deep violet and Piper, like Paris, in black. We all wear Ast's core colours in hopes to gain more points, as Anne said, the kingdom has never been in an alliance with Ilea.

"It truly is, we pulled it off well," I grin.

*~*

~*~

After greeting all the guests, Jason attempts to pull me from the room. I hiss at him, "It'll draw too much attention, I must mingle first."

Jason rolls his eyes, "Surely searching for bombs in the palace is more important than sucking up to the Royals of Ast."

I yank my hand from his, "It'll only notify Cruz, remember? She's in here. I have to be a couple of steps ahead of her, she's no fool."

"Okay, fine, just meet me in the hallway as soon as you can," Jason pinches the bridge of his nose in exasperation.

And so, I mingle, laughing and exchanging intelligible conversations with advisers, nobles, even the princess of Ast. The King and Queen do not let me get near them, however, but by the time I slip out of the room to meet Jason, I do not care.

He raises his eyebrows at me, "Ready?"

Tying my hair, back, I walk past him, "I want to check the wall first."

"The wall? What wall?" he says, jogging after me.

"Weeks ago, I caught Adam Barber staring at this wall outside Percy's office," I explain. We weave down the hallways, me leading the way. "I wanted to check it out further but instead I followed them, and then I was too occupied after that. It is the only lead I have with these bombs."

"What if Cruz was lying about the bombs? What if she's trying to scare you?"

"Cruz is someone who speaks through actions, I doubt she was lying about this. Even if she was, it doesn't hurt to make sure the palace is secure." We begin ascending the spiraling staircase.

"Which it's not."

"Exactly."

Finally, we come up to the wall after climbing all those dreadful stairs. The moonlight casting hazily through the window is the only way for us to see the wall. I begin running my fingers over every crevice, thoroughly examining it. Jason kicks it in serval places, pushing in every brick imaginable.