The Opening Ball ~ Part 2

The music starts playing as Percy places one hand on my waist, the other in my hand. I do the same until I realize I need to put my other hand on his shoulder...not his waist. I mentally facepalm myself. The rest of the girls are then picked by the men to dance and everyone forms around us. I ignore the death glares from Drew and focus on the beaming prince in front of me.

"So," I quirk an eyebrow as we begin dancing. "Why me?"

"Ah, I just wanted to know if the berry stain was cleaned off your dress?" His eyes search mine playfully. I give him a look and he chuckles, "Okay, so that wasn't the only reason."

I wait for a minute to see if he'll tell me, but when he says nothing else, I urge, "Is that it? You aren't going to tell me?"

"I'm playing around with it, but when I have it figured out, I'll tell you," He says vaguely. Deciding to let it go, for now, I focus on not stepping on his feet. After a while, I noticed him beginning to pull me closer, but I make sure to keep him a fair distance from me. It's not that I am not attracted to him, it's that I'm not here for this and many other girls would love to be in this position. He then says, "You know, I rather enjoy my time spent with you."

My eyes meet Drew's across the ballroom as a bachelor spins her around and I cough, "Is that so?"

He twirls me and meets my eyes, his sea-green ones piercing me, "And I was thinking of asking you to attend the museum visit as my date this Friday."

My breath gets caught in my throat, "Is everyone going to this?"

His eyebrows raise, "Indeed, why?" That would make me alone in the palace except for some staff...I could finally go searching for the mission.

Clearing my throat, I say, "As flattered as I am by this invitation, I must decline."

He stops dancing, and I am painfully aware of everyone spinning their partners around us, as we stand in the middle of the ballroom floor. "Is something wrong?"

I look away, my eyes meeting the Queen's. She quirks an eyebrow, and I breathe in, "Not exactly, I just think you could be taking someone else who is more suitable for you." I need to speak to Queen Sally after.

Percy furrows his eyebrows. He looks cute when he does that, his messy black standing out against the other men's gelled hair. I shake those thoughts away, alarmed. You are not here to grow a relationship with the prince, Annabeth – I chide myself. I hear the music nearing the end of the song and the dance coming to an end. Percy then takes me to the side of the ballroom, "What do you mean someone more suitable?"

Sighing, I place my hands on my hips, "Someone who is of higher class and family relations! I'm a 7, Percy. Besides, it's common knowledge that you'll probably marry someone like Drew or even Paris." Paris is of a higher class, just not as high as Drew; but her chances are far greater than mine or Gabriella's, who are lower class.

He shakes his head, "No, I don't care about that. I want you to come with me."

I touch his hands, knowing full well that Hasina is making her way over, "People like you don't talk to people like me." I hesitate then take my hands from his and turn around, walking away.

As I start to walk over to Piper and Tayla at the buffet table, I hear Hasina say, "Prince Percy, you're looking so handsome tonight." I glance back and see Hasina simpering at him as he continues to stare my way. I turn back around.

"And the girl everyone is talking about has arrived!" Tayla says.

I grab a plate and begin loading it, my stomach growling by the second. "What're you guys talking about?"