Float Before You Drown

Photo by Hanne Hoft Bidnes on Unsplash 

I open my mouth to explain but the King beats me to it, "She is a spy from our Secretive Royal Agency. This girl is for nothing but the reward at the end of her mission, not you, son. Annabeth is Cassie."

Percy looks to me, "Can we go up to your room?"

Nodding, I whisper, "Yeah, of course." ]

. . . 

"You are a spy?!" he yells the second I close the door.

"I only lied for your own protection," I reason.

"I knew it was you in that tunnel," he scoffs.

"Hey, hey, you have telepathy and you never told me," I defend myself. But then I realize I'm getting 'in trouble' for doing my job and a little bit of anger rises in me.

He looks at me, "It's not as bad as you only being here for gain."

My heart sags. "Gain?"

"Do you really think I believe our connection has been real this whole time now? It was all one sided as you were only using me to impress my father and solve the stupid northern rebel mission – in which by the way, I've seen so many men fail at!" Percy's voice rises again.

I flinch, the words leaving a sting. I fight my emotions, refusing to cry. Looking at him with a stoned face, I shoot back, "Men, not women, men! This kind of mission has been what I've been dreaming of my whole life! And impress your father? Have you seen how much he hates me?!"

Percy points his finger at me and my lower lip trembles slightly, "Is being a selected girl helping your case for at least catching the rebel scum in the palace? And do you leave after that?"

"Yes, and yes..."

He's already almost out the door when he says, "You can stay as a selected girl, I want you out of here as soon as possible." I watch the door shut.

Thalia, Clove, Andy, Piper and Katie come out of the bathroom where I knew they were hiding. I let my guarded expression fall and turn to them. Piper pulls me into a hug, "Oh honey, I'm so sorry." They then all group hug me and I let myself break.

I let my face scrunch up and my lip wobble as tears brim my eyes, "Did you hear what he said? He assumed I was faking everything." I cry into their embrace. "He – he said I – I was here for ga – gain."

"Hush, hush, this is no," Katie frowns. "You are not taking this! You saved his life, you have risked everything to be here, you have stayed loyal to your job of protecting him – AND THE KINGDOM, might I mention – by not giving into your emotions! I refuse to allow you to mop, it's time for you to show them why General Hedge picked you."

"Screw them all," Thalia crosses her arms, a sour expression on her face. I crack a smile at her, through the tears, in amusement.

Piper wipes my tears. "You are going to go through today with your head held high. I am going to be by your side the whole time."

Inhaling sharply, I rub at my face. Nodding, I know what I need to do, "I want to crack this mission today." Looking to Katie, I say, "Contact Jason and tell him we are not leaving the conference room until we have a solid lead. Tell him to contact the King to get us into the Royal conference room since we aren't hiding my identity from Percy anymore."

Piper bites her lip when I look to her. I raise my eyebrow, knowing she wants to say something and gesture for her to speak. "Can I join you guys?"