Mind Games

Photo by Church of the King on Unsplash 

"We have a lead," Leo begins. I lean forward more on my bed, the day dress folding between my legs. My mouth gapes open the entire time he explains. Then we set a plan. I fiddle my fingers over and over, trying to come up with some way to still be with Percy and do this. In more ways than one. I need to be with him during this plan, but I also mean that I wish so very badly I could be just a girl in this selection and be with him. Every time I come up in a dead end.

We all jump when the door opens. Katie sweeps the papers into the basket, revealing a card game underneath, as if we were prepared for someone all along. Which we are, it's our job to always be prepared. Percy's messy black hair is the first thing I see. I sit there in shock for a second as he swings open the door. Upon seeing the large amount of people in my room, he stops dead in his tracks – a smile frozen on his handsome face. I guess it must look rather interesting, with the stable boy, guards, maids and kitchen boy in my room with cards on the table yet everyone looks like they are up to something more stressing than a simple card game. Thalia stands out of view in the bathroom, eyes wide. I give her a reassuring look before turning back to him when Percy speaks. Out of the corner of my eye, I see her trying to take off everything.

"Have I just interrupted something?" He questions, eyes taking in the people staring at him in my room.

I laugh slightly, "No, you're okay. I made friends and we love having tea and cards together."

His eyebrows raise, "I must say, I have not met a girl like you before Annabeth." He grins at everyone, "Nice to meet you all. Perhaps one of these days I can participate in one of your card games."

My smile grows wider, "That would be wonderful."

"But – " Leo starts. I glare at him and he stutters, "But we won't be as good as you, Your Highness."

Percy chuckles, "I am rather competitive so I'm sure you'll be worthy competitors." He looks to me, "Especially this young lady right here." Blush fills my cheeks and I pinch Leo when he snickers. Percy seems amused by the exchange and says, "So, what date is your next round?"

Jason pipes in, "I was thinking of a tournament."

I quirk an eyebrow, "A tournament? That would take all day."

Jason shrugs, "We all need a relaxer, and I am sure the prince here would like a day off from all those girls and royal duties."

"Watch it Sparky," Thalia hisses, entering the room in her actual appearance and clothes, not as Cassie.

Percy laughs, "I would love a tournament. This Saturday?"

I think over the plan, which happens Friday night. Jason looks to me, asking the same question. Would I be in shape for that, or what if I get hurt? We can always move it to Sunday if that is the case. "Saturday it is."

Percy looks to me, "Is this game quite important or can I steal you?"

I smile, "You can steal me."

Standing up, I take his hand. They fit perfectly in one another and warmth spreads through my chest. As we walk out, I hear Leo and Jason begin taking out the papers again. Katie shuts the door quietly as Seaweed Brain and I walk down the hall. Girl's voices can be heard through open doors or closed ones.

"NO GET ME A BETTER CUP OF TEA, THIS TASTES LIKE ALICE'S FEET! AND SHE HAS FUNGUS!" Drew screeches from her room.

I sigh, "She gives me a headache." Then I purse my lips, cursing internally. I am not supposed to trash talk the girls. Ugh, Annabeth, you're a royal spy, what does it matter?