Chapter 44

I stood in front of the toaster as I waited for the bread to come out.

I heard a groan as I turned around and watched Xavier coming and sitting in one of the chairs. He buried his face in his hands as he groaned,

"My head." He croaked, "Medicine. Give me a medicine."

I didn't say anything as I sighed and opened the fridge and took out a bottle of water. Then opening one of the cabinets I took hold of an aspirin. I went towards him while slamming both of the things on the table.

He lifted his head up from his hand and looked at the aspirin before looking at me confused,

"Are you trying to break the table?" He asked tired.

I didn't reply to him and turned around to check up on my bread. He was silent for a while as he watched me going. He let out a deep breath before grabbing the water and aspirin. He gulped them down before I could feel his eyes on me,

"I don't have an appetite." He said.

I turned around to look at him dead in the eyes, "These are not for you."

He stared at me before saying, "Are you mad at me?"

I turned my back towards him, "Why would I be mad at you?"

He was silent for a while as I ran my fingers along the counter,

"Did I say something yesterday?" He asked out of nowhere.

My fingers stopped. My breathing stopped. I stared in the front.

I love you.

His words rang in my ears.

He was drunk. I reminded myself. He didn't mean it. Or did he? Even if he did. Even if he meant what he said...can I go back to him after all what he did? Can I go back to him with the uncertainty that he won't break my heart again?

Am I ready yet?

"What do you think?" I asked him as I turned around and stood there with my weight against the counter.

He closed his eyes while pinching the bridge of his nose, "I don't know. I am not capable of thinking at all right now." He opened his eyes for a brief moment and looked at me, "But the way you are looking at me...I think I did."

I crossed my arms and looked at him trying to comprehend him. Does he remember what happened yesterday? Does he even remember saying 'I love you' to me? Or better yet, does he think he can talk to me normally after what he said in the cafe?

"My parents would be here any minute now." I stated.

"I am just leaving." He mumbled closing his eyes in pain again.

I shook my head, "You are not going anywhere."

He looked at me puzzled. I pushed myself away from the counter and noticed my bread. I took it out and taking a plate put it on it. Then making my way towards Xavier I stood in front of him,

"You said you don't feel anything for me."

He clenched his jaw tight.

"Don't you think we should just let our parents know?" I continued.

His eyes snapped upto me, "Know what?"

I smirked as I held onto the plate tight, "That we are breaking off our engagement."

He stared at the table. I could feel my legs on the verge of giving up. I wanted to know what was going on in his mind.

But does it matter?