Chapter 12

Tick tock tick tock

The sound I have been hearing for a few hours now. But my attention was all concentrated on this page which was there in front of me. I turned it again. My eyes running over different words. Without knowing my hands caressed the sides of the page. The smooth yet rough texture running down my receptors.

"I am sorry but we will have to close down now." The sweet voice made it's way into my ear. I lifted my eyes enough to look at her. She was old. Just like I remember her from when I used to come here with my father. Her hair were in a bun. While she had huge circular glasses sitting upon her nose.

I looked at the clock which hung just above the huge shelf of the fictional characters.

10 pm.

"I thought you close down at nine." I closed the book in front of me. My hand still in between the pages I was on.

"We do. But since you looked so much engrossed I thought of extending it. But look at the time now. It's ten. I am afraid I might have to close down now. Sorry, sweetie." She smiled softly at me. You could see the time reflecting on the corner of her eyes.

I looked down at the work I was reading. I still didn't feel like leaving it.

I sighed sadly. I got up from my seat looking at Mrs Granger and nodded at her. Smiling slightly.

She looked at me without saying anything. Looking at me knowingly. I stepped aside to go but she stopped me. I turned around to find her holding the book in her hand,

"Why don't you take it with you. You can return to me whenever you are done." She whispered looking softly.

I looked into both her eyes. To see if she was lying. But she wasn't. They were as earnest as they could be.

"But how can I? I don't even..."

"I have seen you. I know I can trust you. Take it with you." She took my hands and put the book in them, "Besides, it's a good book."

I looked at her unsure. Still not able to get over the fact that I was given the permission to take this book with me. Even though the library doesn't allow people to take the books with them.

"I don't know how to-" I started.

"Thank me? You don't need to. You love reading. Now where do we find much readers nowadays? I'll be just glad to let you savour it to the fullest."

I held the book close to my chest. Feeling the heaviness of the words against me. The one heavy thing I love to carry.

"My god! Look at the time. I don't want your parents to worry. Let's go. Come on." She adjusted her glasses before moving forward in her long old dress.

I moved behind her as she walked softly towards the exit. As soon as she was out she locked it with the keys jangling in her hands. She turned around towards me, putting the keys back into the pocket of her dress.

"It's late." She said looking up at the sky. It was a windy night. As usual what is expected from this city. I hum in response.

"Why don't you book an uber? It's not safe." She said looking around. Her eyes a little terrified.

I knew why she was afraid. She was afraid of the gang which usually became active at night. Smugglers they were.I have heard of them. Everyone's terrified of them. You don't want to cross their path, especially at night.

"I think I'll be fine. I'll call my mom. Anyhow, my home is at walking distance from here." I reassured her.

She looked at me unsure for a moment, "I'll wait."