Chapter 40

(Listen to 'Say something' by A great big world:))

Xavier's pov

I sat there with my back against the seat as I prepared myself for the worst. I can't believe I am doing this. I can't believe I am trying to be selfless for once. For Liya.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't even notice someone already standing in front of me. In front of the table.

I looked up and found her dark brown eyes looking at me with a spark in them. I could see that she had put in a lot of effort in her dress to look like she didn't put in a lot of effort.

I wanted to chuckle at her cuteness.

"Can I sit? She asked.

I nodded my head silently at her. I couldn't bring myself to say anything. To say a word.

I still can't believe how right Olivia was. Not only Olivia. I knew everyone thought so too. Including me. If I let Liya go she won't have to suffer so much. In the end, I was the cause of all her suffering.

As she sat down she looked at me expectantly. A smile on her face.

How much I want that smile to be there forever.

She put her hands on the table before crossing them, "Before you say anything, I want to make a few things clear."

I waited for her to continue as she took a deep breath before she put a smile on her face again, "I never dated Luke."

I froze in my spot as I looked at her confused. What did she mean that she never dated Luke?

"What?" I asked.

She nodded her head trying to purse her grin, "We never dated. It was all fake."

I felt happy. Her words just made me feel so happy that I wanted to grin and laugh it off with her but I can't.

I put on a hard cover on my face as I looked at her coldly, "And I should know?"

She seemed confused as she looked at me trying to figure me out, "What do you mean?" She asked trying to chuckle.

This. This was the moment I was most dreading. The moment I have to break it to her.

Why is it so early? Can't I enjoy my moments with her?

I clenched my jaw tight,

"I don't care whom you date Liya." I said harshly.

The spark in her eyes just a minute ago vanished just like that. Her smile disappeared. Just like that. Just like always I was the one to hurt her.

"W-we kissed Xavier." She said her voice coming out to be meek.

I could feel every inch of my body mentally paining as I looked at her looking at me this way.

I can't.

I can't look at her this way. I averted my eyes away from her as I closed my eyes and forced my next words out,

"So what? People kiss all the time." I said coldly.

Please. Please. Please help me. Help me from breaking in front of her. I can't. Not right now.

I was lying. I knew it. It wasn't just a kiss. Not for her. Not for me.

It definitely was much more.

She was silent as I moved my eyes towards her slowly. Her eyes. She was tearing as she tried not to cry.

I felt like someone was ripping my heart out as I looked at her this way.