|| 36 ||

Based on the fact that Louis was wearing a relatively simple dress, Harry guessed that they wouldn't go out for a really exclusive dinner or anything. And in fact, they took the elevator all the way up to the building's roof terrace. The sun had not yet set, bathing the surroundings in a warm orange light. And indeed, they weren't the first up here.

Over the clapping of Dan, Quen and Niall, Louis rolled his eyes.

"Idiots. Thank God at least Jackson isn't here yet", he murmured, walked past the three to the small selection of drinks. Harry chuckled, was immediately talked at by Niall and Quen. Louis himself, looked at the selection on the table.

"L'eue Courante, what the hell got into you that you weren't up here at 6:30 already? We said 7:00, didn't we?", Louis heard behind him, smiled, but left his gaze on the selection. He actually felt like having a beer again after all.

"Why, have you been up here since 6:30, hoping to find me alone without the others?" he said, took a beer, opened it.

"And what if I had?"

Louis chuckled at this answer and when he felt Dan's hand on his waist, he turned to him. The evening sun shone in the taller man's face, bathed his brown eyes in a honey-brown paradise.

"Then I would ask myself what you should hope for"

Dan didn't answer directly, pressed his lips together a little and looked briefly down at Louis' dress, then back into his eyes.

"And I wouldn't know what to say. Because honestly, I don't know", he said, his voice sinking from the funny tone into a more serious one. Louis said nothing, just looked into Dan's hazel eyes.

"I mean, the last time I saw you was when you were with Jackson and..."

Louis sighed, looked away, and at that moment saw his ex step onto the terrace.

"Dan"

"I know. But..."

"I know," said Louis, without looking at him, still looking away thoughtfully, feeling the gaze of the taller one on him.

"And also Rita -"

"What's going on here? Old feelings coming up, or what?"

Jackson put his arm around Dan, whose hand disappeared from Louis' body.

"Shut up", Louis rolled his eyes.

"And why are you so late?"

Jackson whistled, looking around.

"How about instead of pissing me off, you ask where your little Taytay is with my Yannik"

At this remark Louis frowned, now looked around the terrace. And indeed, he hadn't noticed that Taylor and Yannik were the only ones now missing. Suspicious. And yet it could be a coincidence.

"It was only a matter of time", said Dan, grabbing a bottle of beer himself.

"Why don't you ask Taylor how she does it; I mean with you and Harry it's not doing so well"

Louis chuckled at Jackson's ignorance.

"Trust me, I don't need tips. Not from Taylor and neither from Yannik. We're doing great"

Dan had to laugh knowingly, drank from his beer. Jackson watched him questioningly.

"By the way, if you could refrain from being a classic controlling ex and stop bugging Taylor with questions, I'd appreciate it"

Now Jackson turned his head back to him, shrugged his shoulders.

"So? I ask her what she's doing with Yannik, too. I'm interested in that kind of things"