Chapter 13

The next day, I received a call from my mom and she said that I'll fly all the way from Edmond to Florida tomorrow to visit my dad. I'm quite excited to go there yet at the same time, I'm nervous to know how my father is doing. This summer started out so good but knowing that he is fighting for something that can shut him off anytime makes me feel so gloomy, dismal and miserable.

     That afternoon after all of us ate our lunch, some guy rang the doorbell and I volunteered to get it. The moment I opened the door, some guy with a large bag full of letters and packages in it. I'm guessing that he is a mailman. And I was right. He handed me an envelope and I bid him my thanks. 

     When I opened it, it was my airplane ticket. My flight will be tomorrow night at 6. I'll only stay there for 2 days and after that, I'll fly back here in Edmond once again. 

     I told my granny about what I got from the mail and she was quite excited for me to see my dad together with my mom. She's just obviously trying to lift my spirit and hopes up towards what my dad is going through. Sigh.

     To ease off the drama and loneliness that's running through my mind, I took a walk by the park. From afar, I knew that Chase is sitting next to Daniela by the bench which is parallel to the swing. I walked closer to ask how he's doing and they both welcomed me with a warm embrace. Wait, they know each other?!

     "How are you, Chase? I haven't talked to you in a while," I said as I sat next to him. 

     "Nothing new, really," he answered.

     "How about you, Daniela?" 

     "I'm doing really fine. Though I'm quite nervous for school which is like in 2 weeks or so. Good thing, all of us will attend the same institute," she said with a smile. It's weird how I see my father in her. Hmm, maybe I just miss him way too much. 

     "Well, I guess I'll see you both around. Grandma's probably wondering where I am," I said as I wave goodbye. 

     I was walking on the way home when I saw Greyson 6 feet away from their house. He's carrying a paper bag with Lisa. They probably went to buy groceries. I went towards them to maybe just say hi.

     "Hey Greyson! What's up?" I said as I put my hand on his shoulder.

     "I'm good. Went to the grocery with my mom," he said. He was about to say something more but Lisa cut him off.

     "How are you?" she asked and I was surprised and at the same time, quite shy. 

     "I'm doing really good. Actually, I'm flying off to Florida tomorrow to see my parents," I said as all of us went inside their house. It was really cozy and quite warm inside.

     "For good?!" Greyson asked hysterically. 

     "What?! No. I'm just visiting them since my dad got a..." I cut off by my own emotions. Should I say it or should not? "Cancer. A brain cancer." There, I said it already, trying to fight back my tears.

     "Oh I'm sorry to hear that, sweetheart," Lisa said while hugging me.

     "Nah, it's okay. But to be honest, it's really devastating yet I'm trying to get over it because I know he'll survive," I said firmly.

     "It's good that you're not letting sadness take over. I know that he will be better soon enough," she said while rubbing my back. It's really sweet of her to comfort me despite our closeness. We're never that attached to each other. I know her, she knows me. That's it. I really appreciate how she's being nice and kind to me.