Chapter 5

"A box of 6 red velvet cupcakes please?" the guy said. 

     "Right away, sir!" I said while walking towards the cupcake display slash counter or whatever you call it.

       "You're new here?" he asked. I pursed my lips, trying to fight back the flutter in my stomach.

    "I just moved from UK. My grandma owns the store," I answered. Before he can talk, I already handed him the box. 

     "Oh. Thanks!" he said then left. I eyed on him until he got out of the shop.

   The whole day, I was working in the bakeshop. Well, this is really fascinating. Back in Manchester, all I do is go in summer classes. It's productive and this is something new. We closed at around 7pm. Then grandma and I walked back home. It was tiring but this is something that I never tried before. Being that lazy girl in UK, I think this summer's gonna be better and more fun. 

     When we got home, dinner's already served. Grandpa cooked buttered shrimp. After eating, I volunteered to wash the dishes. Since this isn't my house, I should help in the chores. Then I opened my Mac to skype with Paris. 

     "Hey Paris! How are you?" I said.

     "I'm doing okay. I miss you already! Anyway, the piano stencils on your wall is awesome!" she said. I miss this gal, really.

     "Hahaha, thanks!"

     "Guess what?" 

     I wonder what this is about. "What?" I asked.

     "I got a scholarship in Blue Ridge! Oh my god!" she screamed.

     "Omg, congrats Paris! I'm so proud!" 

     "Thanks!"

     Blue Ridge has been our dream school since 4th grade. I'm happy for Paris! We chatted about how summer is going on until I got sleepy. It's awesome to talk to her once again. 

**

     Late in the afternoon, I climbed up this oak tree and brought my book Looking For Alaska by John Green with me. I rested my legs on the branch and my back by the trunk. The air up there was so refreshing and cool. I could watch the workers in the winery from up here. I was mesmerized by the scenery which kinda made me feel sleepy. 

     Then I heard someone clear his throat. And yes, it's a guy. I looked down below and saw a brown-headed boy looking up at me.

     "Who are you? Don't you know that this is a private property?" he said. He's a brunette and his eyes were green. He's kinda tanned and sweaty. 

     "What? I live here," I said as I glare at him.

     "Oh really? Liar," he said.

     "My grandfather owns the ground you're stepping on. Who are you anyway?" Oops, I kinda sounded arrogant.

     He turned red; it showed that he's really embarrassed. "Oh. Uhh, I'm Chase. I work here. Sorry for bugging you." 

     I giggled. "It's fine. I just moved here from Manchester."

     "Fascinating. I just saw a British girl up on an oak tree, cool."

     "You're weird," I laughed.

     "I better get going now. I shall finish my work. See you whenever! Oh and sorry about what I said. I didn't know that you own this place," he said as he wave goodbye to me.

     "Wait, can I go with you?" I asked while closing my book. 

     He raised his brow on me. "Well, sure!"

     I jumped down from the tree and shook off the leaves that got onto my shorts. "So where are we exactly going? I still haven't explored the whole hacienda."

     "Really? Well, I'm off to the vineyards. I’ll pick grapes for processing. Wanna learn how?"

     "That will be awesome! Cmon, let's go!" 

     So we walked to the vineyard and he grabbed a crate where we'll put the grapes in. 

    "So harvesting is the most crucial part of winemaking. The time of harvest is determined primarily by it's sugar level, ripeness and flavor. Well, depending on the wine we're making. In Mr. Vaughan's vineyard, we use handpicking only. So we use a clipper to clip the bunches off each long vine and place them in the crate. Easy as that," he explained. Chase sounded so clever which made me more impressed.

     I did what he taught me. And gladly, I'm right.

     "You learn fast! It really runs in the blood," he stated.

     "Nahhh, I'm just really a fast learner," I boasted then he laughed.

     While helping Chase, some random man came to us. "Who is he?" I whispered to Chase as I poke his hip with my elbow.

     "That's George, also a worker here," he whispered back.

     "Hi Chase! Aren't you gonna introduce me to your friend?" the man said. He has salt and pepper hair with fair complexion. 

     "Well George, this is Tamia. I just met her today and she's Mr. Vaughan's granddaughter," he stated.

     "Good afternoon, Mr. George! It's really nice meeting you," I held out my hand and he shook it.

     "It's nice to meet you too!" he said.

     All the three of us worked under the sun and I shared some stories about my parents and stuffs. Both of them are really approachable. I know that I shouldn't talk to people whom I really don't know but they seem so harmless and nice. 

     Then we got into a topic that I really don't know where it came from.

     "Tamia, to be honest, you look like my wife," George said.

     "Really? I would love to meet her!" I jumped.

     There was silence.

     "If only you could meet her but she's in heaven already," he said. 

     The smile on my face slowly faded. "I'm sorry," I murmured.

     "It's fine, Tamia," he said.

    Chase excused himself since his mother is calling him from their house just across the vineyard. He told me that grandpa let them live and work here in the hacienda/winery in exchange to good education for him and his 2 other siblings. 

     "Anyway, would you like to go for dinner with us tonight? I will introduce you to my daughter. She'll definitely be excited to meet a new friend!" he enounced.

     "That will be really great! I would love to meet her!" 

     "Since it's almost 6, shall we go now?" 

     "Oh sure, sure!" 

     Before going with him, I went back at home to take a quick shower and put nice clothes. Then I told grandma and Clio that I'm not eating dinner with them and they all nodded. I rode on George's jeep and he drove us to their home. It's just 4 blocks away from the hacienda that's why we got there fast.

     When I got in to their house, the first thing I saw was a guy sitting on the couch by the living room. He turned his head around and I saw his face.

     He's the cute guy who bought red velvets yesterday at the bakeshop. 

----------

Please vote vote vote! It will mean sooo much to me <3 And don't forget to comment your feedback down below! Thank you (: ~ Krissy xx