Chapter 26

I opened my eyes from my sleep and so much things started to crash inside my head like it's radiating all the vibes and soundwaves around me. I blinked several times to awaken myself from being idle. I looked through my window and smiled.

     My favorite season has finally arrived. The time wherein rare apricot palette surrounds me. The time wherein the wind is crispy and cool. The time when my grandmother rejoices for she doesn't have to mow the yard every other day because the grass stops growing. The time between summer and winter. The time when leaves fall off from its branches. The time wherein kids jump into a pile of flimsy bracts. The day when the sun crosses the celestial equator moving southward. 

     September 22nd; first day of autumn and my 16th birthday.

     For a second, I felt majestic. I felt like I was a princess of the autumn guardians or fairies. Then I realized that my parents were here to celebrate with me. Not that I'm not happy about that. It's just, I'm not sure if I really am grateful that they are here because I am pretty sure that my internal wounds are still not healed. 

     It was 6:12 am according to my digital clock; too early for anyone to be awake. Well, I hope. I tiptoed all the way downstairs to get myself a cup of hot chocolate. And what a surprise, Greyson was already awake. He and Clio were sitting by the counter, eating grapes and oatmeal. Obviously, Greyson was kind of startled to see me. I guess he didn't expect me to be up this early.

     "Why are you up this early?" He asked without looking at me.

     "Is that how you greet the birthday girl?" I shrugged.

     "I was supposed to make you a breakfast with Clio but then...nevermind. Happy birthday, doofus!" He teased.

     "Happy birthday, Tamz!" Clio said with a convincing smile.

     I rolled my eyes and said, "That is so cliche. I don't need breakfast in bed on my 16th birthday. And thanks you two!"

     "So, what do you want to eat?" Clio asked.

     "Oatmeal and grapes would be perfect." I said as I join them eat by the high chairs which are parallel to the counters.  

     "Plans for today?" Greyson asked.

     "Nothing much, to be honest. I actually prefer staying here at home and you know, do some sleeping." I am just too lazy to do anything and I think it's a perfect day to do nothing.  

     "Lame," he blurted out. 

     I rolled my eyes and enjoyed my food. Not less than a minute, I hear voices upstairs. I guess my father is already awake. 

     I stared at nowhere balnkly, trying to escape from my moody thoughts that usually eats my alive and throws me into the depths of hell. 

     Unknowingly, he was there. My dad. And I was surprised because he doesn't seem to like worse than I expected him to be. 

     I breathed deeply and let out a huge sigh of happiness. It's weird how my mood can escalate from one to another. But some things just never leave me alone. Like anxiety. I am so anxious about what's going to happen.

      I just shrugged off the thought and walked towards my father. He was smiling and I knelt down to hug him. He barely talks but it's okay as long as I can see him smiling. I fought the tears that are building up in my eyes. I didn't want to cry because I am happy. I am just happy that he is here. 

     "Happy birthday," he mumbled. The words weren't clear but it's just right for me to understand. The moment he placed his hand on my face, tears just fell.