Chapter 23

Everything that Greyson said to me kept on replaying and replaying inside my head like a beautiful song that is hard to forget. It's just crazy how he said those things about me. With his eyes staring at mine, his hand almost touching my fingers and most of all, the warmth I felt while sitting next to him while saying those words kept me astonished. Every single word made my stomach flutter, resulting to a deep shade of red on my cheeks. I don't know, I've never felt this beautiful ever in my life.

     The weekend went by really fast. That Sunday, I just stayed on my bed eating ice cream while watching Arrow. 

     Then I remembered that it's almost my birthday. The moment that came inside my head, I grabbed my phone to give my mom a call. 

     "Hello?" I said. 

     "I miss you, darling. Anyway, why did you call? Let's keep this quick, okay? You know your mommy, busy as always."

     She spoke way too fast for me to formulate all the things I want to say. Well, why did I call at the first place anyway? 

     I set aside the random thoughts and focused on my mom. "It's almost my birthday. Aren't you gonna take me there again, maybe over the weekend, to visit dad?" 

     "Oh. Well, let's talk about that some other time. I'm in the middle of a meeting and I just excused myself. I'll call you whenever I'm free, alright?" she assured.

     I sighed, loud enough for her to hear. I just had to let her feel my frustration. Maybe to make her feel guilty about this. I mean, I'm her daughter. Could she at least give up some of her time for me? 

     If only I have the guts to tell her all of these, I would have told it a long time ago. But no, she doesn't have time or maybe I'm just scared about what will happen after that. I've had enough dramas in my life. And sometimes, not saying anything at all can make it better. 

     Above all that, all I managed to say was, "Okay."

     "Bye, sweetheart. I love you," she said as she subsequently, hung up.

     I lay my back on my bed and closed my eyes. The thought of my dad just sank through me and together with it was the thought of death.

     Death.

     I know I shouldn't intertwine that thing with my dad but it just came inside my head. To me, death is such a wonderful and a miserable thing at the same time. Wonderful because of the fact that a certain person won't be suffering from life's grief anymore. Wonderful because someone is finally free; he or she is done with their mission in our world. Wonderful because in my perspective, it's seventh heaven. On the contrary, it's miserable because those dead and gone people have to leave.

     I wonder what my fallen sister feels right now. Is she seeing me right now? Is she happy? I miss Stella. Even though we only shared a little time together, those memories will forever stay inside my heart. 

     And that night, everything Stella and I had when we were kids was left hanging in my head.

     The next day, I walked by the halls and noticed that the list of passers in the swimming team was already posted. I squished my way in front from the crowd easily. Ha, the perks of having broad shoulders and small body. 

     The first on the list was my name and below mine was Daniela's. A sudden smile came from my lips and next to that was everyone patting my back, bidding me congratulations. I tried to say thanks to everyone and squished myself back to the halls.