Chapter 21

As soon as I read the note, I immediately tossed it by the dining table and got out of  the house. I ran and ran and ran all the way to the gate of our hacienda. And luckily, found a cab fast. 

     "To the hospital please," I bid the driver as I tried to calm myself from the rush in my head after reading the note added by the loss of air from the running.

     I sat there, thrilled by all the crazy things that are running inside my mind. I don't want to be paranoid about this because I know that he's okay. I know that Chase is alright.

     I watched the city as the lights started to flicker. The blury effect was there due to the drizzle caused by the lonely sky. And this gloomy environment just made it even worse. What if he's not actually doing good as I'm expecting? 

     And finally, after the long wait, we're arrived at the hospital and gave him the payment. I ran inside the hospital and went to the information desk. 

     "Chase Foster?" I asked.

     "4th floor, room 113," the lady said.

     "Thank you!" I faked a smile as I ran towards the elevator. 

     A minute or two inside the elevator felt like hours. As soon as the doors opened at 4th floor, I ran and tried to find room 113. And it was less than a minute before I found it. 

     I stopped in front of the room because I was nervous to see what's inside. But all what's in my mind right now is the hope that he's fine. Above the anxiousness inside me, I knocked to the door twice and poked my head in to see if grandma or anyone I know was there. And I was surprised to see no one except Chase.

     I slowly stepped inside the room and Chase looked at me with his dark and willow eyes. I tried to put on a smile on my face to keep the environment enlivening. I don't know if I want the air to be happy because of him; for him to recover somehow or for me, who may be the reason why he's here.

     "Hey," I said. "Where's everyone else?" 

     "They bought dinner," he uttered. 

     I nodded, not knowing what to tell him. Should I comfort him? Should I just sit here and make him feel my presence? Or acquire information about what happened?

     "Chase, what happened, really?" I sighed. I just don't know how to properly ask him about things. I know he's injured and it's unhealthy for him to move and be stressed but I just have to know; I want to understand every single thing.

     "You don't have to know, Tamia. The good thing is that I'm here now right? I'm breathing, I'm okay," he said and I wasn't satisfied of what I've heard.

     "I'm your friend, I have to know what happened," I said, almost begging with the tone in my voice.

     "That's the problem. You're just a friend," he claimed, looking at his hands. 

     I was speechless. I didn't know what to say. He likes me. Chase likes me.

     "Well, what happened? And how is that connected with...that stuff?" I literally ran out of words. I was stiff so I decided to sit by the end of his bed. 

     Chase tried to sit up and I was about to help him but he swiftly managed to move. "Well, I was sick this morning and decided not to go to school. And I felt quite guilty because I was a bit mean or I don't know, you didn't deserve that," he said, referring to our little conversation the last time. "So I decided to go to your swimming try outs and unluckily, got hit by a car. But don't worry, I'm okay now."

     I dug my face into my palms. It's so clear. It's all my fault. 

     "Hey Tamia, hey. Don't cry, I know what you're thinking. It's none of your fault okay? It's all because of my stupidity," he alleged, trying to comfort me. But he didn't have a clue that it made me feel worse. 

     "I'm sorry, Chase," I said while standing up and sitting next to him. 

     "Don't say sorry, Tamia," he said as he brushed his hand through the strands of hair in front of my face and tucking it behind my ear.

     As I respond, I just hugged him. 

     And out of nowhere, the door swung open and Clio was there. I let go of the hug first and looked by my back. Her eyes were kind of filled with shock but I didn't mind. She entered the room and carefully set the table for food.

     "Hey," I said. "I thought you went to Vonne's."

     She just shook her head and smiled as a reply. 

     After a moment, grandma and grandpa appeared by the door. And I went to them to give them a hug and a peck on the cheek. After that, we just ate the banquet they bought. I fed Chase as we all talked about the winery and how the sales are going. It's obvious that grandpa is trying not to talk about the accident. 

     As the night went by, we started packing our things and Chase's family already arrived. They'll be the one in charge of him over the night. Consequently, the rest of us went home already. 

**

     When we got home, no one was talking. The air was filled with silence.

     I took off my kicks and put it by the rack. I went upstairs together with Clio. Both of us were not talking which bothers me. We used to chat a lot about our outfit of the day, about the cute seniors in school and so much more. But it turned out to be nothing now. 

     I turned the knob of my room and pushed it. I opened the lights and threw my bag on my bed. And when I turned around, Clio was there. 

     She walked towards me and hugged me tight, sobbing. 

     "What happened? Why are you crying?" I asked, literally innocent of what's happening with Clio. The last time I knew, she's perfectly okay and now she's crying.

     I have no idea on what's happening. Right now, my mind is scrambled from everything; about my dad, about Chase, about my feelings over Greyson. It's just frustrating.

     "I'm sorry, Tamia," she sobbed.

     "Sorry about what?" I asked while rubbing her back.

     She let go of the hug and held my shoulders. Her fingertips are kind of hurting my skin. 

     "I'm jealous. I'm jealous of you. I heard everything a while ago," she cried.

     I didn't know what to say. 

     "I know I shouldn't be but I am. I liked him since forever. Well okay, I'll admit it. I love him. And it's just really sad to know that he likes my cousin. It's so unfair! I've been here for him since then and when you came, we never had the chance to talk, to bond. We don't do the things we used to do because he spends most of his time with you."

     I was kind of hurt about what she had said. Not to sound arrogant but, it wasn't my fault that he likes me. 

     "Sorry," I uttered. 

     She let go of my hand and just ran to her room. 

     After she left, the tension inside the room slowly faded. I sat by my bed and just burst out through crying. Everything is unthinkable. From dad to Chase, Daniela to Clio. 

     I don't know anymore. That's all.

     And out of the blues, my phone started ringing. I dug my bag to find it and it was unexpected.

     Greyson.

----------

hola! sorry for the wait. here's chapter 21 and i hope you like it :) thanks for reading and please vote! ilysm <3 ~ krissy.