Chapter 11

T A M I A ' S P O V

"Tamia, please don't freak out or anything but I was diagnosed and the doctors found out that I have brain cancer."

My dad was diagnosed with cancer. My father has brain cancer. It was devastating to know it from my dad, himself.

     My summer was starting out so good but knowing that my dad had this disease? It's really deplorable. He was very humble, generous and the best father ever. He has always been there for me though he's in Liverpool with my mom back then when I was still in Manchester. I never imagined that it would turn out to something like this.

     That morning, I was so happy that I and Greyson are finally going out again. I have to admit, I also wanted to come with him. But then he cancelled it because of Daniela which was so not manly. He doesn't stand for his words. I anticipated that it would be a good day if I start it with Greyson but no, he ruined it.

     After that, my dad called and said all those to me. And I bet he also called my mom about that. I bawled and bawled inside my room. And I thought that I shouldn't be acting like this because I have to be strong. I have to be brave about this. "My dad will never leave us," I thought.

     Right now, riding on this lumpy old cab, seeing that pouring rain and flickering lights all over the city just made me...down. It felt weird seeing Greyson's arms entwined with Daniela's. Uhm, I don't know. And the fact that he saw me crying, it felt very awkward and all. I just hope that he's not assuming that it's all about him. If that happens, then he's a total jerk.

     After about 10 minutes, I finally got home. I descended from the cab and got drenched by the strong downfall of the rain. I went inside the house, dripping all over the place and all while grandma, grandpa and Clio are having their early dinner. All of their faces looked miserable. I bet that they already heard the news.

     "Go change your clothes and come eat with us, Ashley," grandma commanded.

     I just nodded as a response and went upstairs. I took a quick shower and put on my oversized Amy Winehouse shirt and pajamas plus my bunny slippers. I didn't even brush my hair at all but who cares? I immediately went down to join them in eating.

     The foods were beef sliders and petite wedges with marinara sauce. It was delish as always.

     At the dinner table, no one was talking which made me burst into tears a bit. My grandma saw me and she comforted me with a very warm hug.

     "Be strong, Ashley. He'll be okay," my grandma said as she gently tapped my back.

     "But he was a great man. How could this happen to him?" I asked like a little baby. I swear I didn't expect this to happen.

     "The disease already hit him. And maybe it is genetically shared in their blood, if you knew what happened to his mother," my grandma said which just made it worse.

     My grandma in my father's side had brain cancer too at the age of 54. Eventually, she didn't make it.

     "I know he won't end up like grandma Irene. He's a strong man. He won't leave me and mom, right?" I cried.

     "No he won't. I know that he's a strong man. He will make it. Trust me," she said. Those words registered in my mind and taught me to believe. I know that my father will make it. I just have to be brave and tough for him.

     The dinner went so lonely. Grandpa didn't look so good neither did Clio. It's my entire fault because I started this stupid drama. I'm making a big deal out of it when I know that my dad can survive that filthy and evil sickness.