~T w e n t y - f i v e~

Continuing the interview...

Amara POV
I was extremely confused. Did she want me to answer or not? I mean, I didn't know the answer, but what was I supposed to say? That my parents hated me and not my siblings?

"Uh well I...well...I guess my siblings were better than me?" I answered unsurely.

I could see the boys' shoulders sag as I answered that question. Did they want me to lie?

"Sweetheart, you should have been just as loved as your siblings. They weren't better than you, you are perfect just the way you are" Hayden chimed in, answering the question I was thinking of.

I sent him a small smile and he squeezed my hand which, I had to admit, made me feel a lot better about this whole process. I didn't fully trust them just yet but I wanted to show them that I really appreciated what they were doing for me. I never had anyone 'want me' in their home and for them to want to take custody of me was huge. Something I don't think I could repay them for.

I was still very hesitant with them but I think their intentions are pure, even if they are doctors.

"How often was the abuse Amara? And were you ever taken to get medical attention afterwards?" She asked, making me wonder if she was actually on my side or not.

"I g-guess almost e-every other day. I n-never got h-help after" I stuttered, feeling helpless.

"Alright, next question. Were you ever touched inappropriately by anyone in your household?" Katie continued, discomfort showing on her face. She clearly didn't want to ask these questions just as much as I didn't want to answer them.

Shaking my head vigorously, tears welled up in my eyes at the mere thought of sexual abuse. No one should have to go through that and I was lucky that I didn't. I didn't have it as bad as others.

"You are doing so well Amara. Lastly, do you have any comments that you feel like would contribute to your case? If not, that's okay, but I have to ask anyways" she told me, no doubt wanting to be done with these questions.

I thought for a moment. I don't think I have any extra information the police would need to know.

"I don't...I don't th-think so." I have always hated talking in front of people. It makes me so nervous.

Hayden squeezed my hand once more, smiling at me when I glanced upwards.

"Okay then that means we are all set! Thank you Amara for your cooperation and help. I will contact you if I have any information about the case for you, but we should have more than enough evidence against your parents" She said, smiling brightly.

I gave a weak nod and smile before she walked out the door, leaving me with the three doctors, aka my new guardians.

Hayden squeezed my hand again before letting it go to stand up.

"I'll be right back with the adoption papers."

I gave a nod that I don't think he saw as he walked out the door again.

Was I making the right choice? What if this home was worse than my own? What would I do then? I couldn't go out on the streets. I can't go back home. Where would I go?

"Amara!" My head snapped up to Greyson who was suddenly sitting on the end my bed waving his hand in front of my face.

I tilted my head in confusion. Was he trying to talk to me?

"Yes?"

"I've been trying to get your attention for a while now. What are you thinking so hard about?" He answered, looking concerned.

I decided to keep my doubts to myself for now and just see what happens. Maybe they will be different, maybe they will love me...who am I kidding? No one can love me, I'm just a screwup.

"Nothing" I answered quickly, almost too quickly.

He was searching my face for answers when Hayden barged back in through the door, papers in hand.

"Sorry, Malcolm was talking my ear off. I got the papers, and he said that as soon as they are signed, we are allowed to take you home when we see fit, which we can talk about later" he explained, making me feel less than hopeful about leaving the hospital.

Hayden sat back in the chair beside Hudson, and Greyson stayed at the end of the bed.

"Okay so before you sign these papers, we need to explain to you what is on them. To put it simply,  you have a case worker assigned to you. She will do checks every three months for a year. If at any time you feel like we aren't a good fit for you, you can tell her and she will get you out. Obviously we would like for you to talk to us before this happens but it is your decision in the end. When you sign these papers, you are agreeing to let me take full legal guardianship of you, which means we handle all of the adult stuff for you and you get to enjoy your teenage years. This is your last chance to disagree with this adoption. Any questions?" He explained, keeping a gentle smile on his face throughout.

I don't see any reason why I can't try this. They have showed multiple times now that they don't want to hurt me and they seem really nice. They even give me nice drugs that lessen the panic and the voices in my head. Not what you should be wanting Amara.

"No, I w-want to sign them" I state as confidently as I can.

If they wanted to try to help me, I was going to try to make an effort as well.

She is finally trusting them and going to a nice home! Will she finally be happy?

See you next time!