~F i f t y - t h r e e~

Ch. 53

Thank you for your patience! Very unedited sorry! Please read message at the end!

Amara POV
Hudson took me home and let me rest on the couch while he made some food for us. He had his panties in a twist since I had coffee only and not "real" food. His words not mine.

I had Moana on and was humming along when he walked back in with a bowl of fruit. He gave me a look that said 'eat it all' before handing it to me.

He sat down on the opposite side of the couch. "I wanted to tell you that I'm really proud of you. You did so well today and you're really making strides in trusting us" he complimented. I had hadn't I?

"Thank you Uncle H" I said meekly.

"Uncle H?"

"Do you not like it? It was...never mind it was just a stupid idea." Amara what is wrong with you? Stupid...stupid. Why would he want to be called that.

"Quit that overthinking of yours. I like it and I love that you trusted me enough to use it. If you want me to be Uncle H then Uncle H it is" he couldn't stop the grin from forming on his face if he tried.

My smile mirrored his as I looked back to the movie and started eating my fruit.

My bond to them was growing everyday and it felt weird to say that I wasn't scared of it. All of us still had a lot of growing together to do but I was excited for the future together.

I knew that my trust issues weren't going to go away on their own and I might have to do therapy sessions, but I found myself not being as scared of it as I once was. I think it was because I finally felt safe enough to heal and I had help that would stand with me through all of it.

"What's got you thinking so hard over there?" Uncle H asked, staring at me intently.

"Dad had scrubs on today didn't he." I stated, wanting to confirm what I already knew.

"Yeah sweetie he did. Do you want to talk about it?"

"No...I just...I hugged him." I looking up at him.

"You did"

"I wasn't scared of them" I mumbled, more to myself than him. Granted, it wasn't the main thing I needed to be scared of, but I still hugged him in his scrubs. I guess it depended on who was wearing the scrubs rather than the scrubs themselves, but they were still a trigger I wanted to stay away from.

"I hope you're proud of yourself too. It took a lot of courage to do that and you faced it head on. I know it won't mean that the fear is gone, but you should be happy with how far you've come" he explained.

Was I proud of myself? Was I happy that I faced my fear?

I've never really asked myself those questions before. I guess I could say that I'm proud of myself for facing my fear, but I don't really know the feeling of being proud of myself. In my childhood, I never felt that there was something to be proud of. I only ever disappointed myself and others had always let me down.

"Thank you for loving me" I said out of the blue, shocking him out of his daze.

"You never have to say thank you for something so fundamental to your well-being. But since you said it, thank you for letting me into your life. You'll never have to question love again" he confessed, sending me his signature smile that was so comforting.

I have only ever disappointed myself. I want to be proud of myself. I want to love myself. If I have to trust doctors to get that then so be it.

.
.
.

The rest of the day went by pretty quickly since it was spent watching movies on the couch.

I hadn't even realized when dad and Greyson walked in.

"Mara bear!" Grey yelled, engulfing me in a hug. "You can't leave me with these boring people all day it's just not fair" he whined, earning a flick from dad.

"Those boring people are your bosses. And there is something called respect, you should learn it" dad said smugly before winking at me. "Hi sweetheart how are you feeling?"

Grey pouted, resting his head on my shoulder. "I'm okay, Uncle H let me watch movies all day" I confessed with a grin.

"Oh he did, did he? Well I guess that means we'll have to join you then" he said, walking over to give me a kiss on my forehead. "I'm glad you're feeling better."

I was happy he didn't comment on Hudson's new nickname. I didn't feel like explaining myself and I was a little embarrassed. They had never called me childish but I knew some of the things I did were silly and weird for a girl my age. I tried to not care and focus on the movie instead so my thoughts didn't take over.

All of us spent the night resting on the couch and binge watching movies together. I was hoping after I went to bed that the lightheadedness would stop. I hated feeling so weak and shaky.

I was proud to call these people my family.

Okay guys so here's the deal. I took so long putting this chapter out because the next one is the last one. I was and still am struggling to end it and my ideas keep getting stuck. I will be doing the final chapter as 54 and then I will include one epilogue as 55. The final might take me a while since I still can't decide on how to end it but it will get there I promise.

I will see you guys in the finale! Thank you for your patience and support! It means the world!❤️