~T w e n t y - f o u r~

How's everyone's day going?

Hayden POV
I hated seeing her nervous. I wish I could just take all of her hesitation away.

"What d-does that m-mean?" She stutters.

I looked at my brother and gestured with my eyes for him to help me.

"Amara, in order for us to be able to take you home with us, you need to give evidence of the abuse to the police" Hudson explains softly.

We all knew this wasn't going to go over well with her and I was worried she wasn't going to agree, which would get her parents off the hook. They were currently being held by CPS and the police on circumstantial evidence-her confession. Since her siblings and everyone else denied any knowing of the neglect or abuse, the police need actual proof, meaning they need pictures of her bruised body.

"Sweetheart, they need pictures of your ribs and any other bruises so that they can put your parents in jail. They have informed us that there is no need to go to court if we can give them complete proof. We got lucky they agreed to this, they wanted to come in here and talk to you personally" Hudson added, sitting on the edge of her hospital bed.

"Pictures?" She asked, eyes wide.

"I know you probably don't want to, but this is very important to keep your parents in jail, and without it, your parents won't get the time they deserve" I explained to her as gently as possible.

I noticed her breathing pick up and the way her eyes flitted around the room in a panic.

"But you s-said they w-were going to j-jail" she whimpered, looking to me, hurt.

My eyes softened, an action only she would've been able to see. "I know I did Angel, I thought they would have just pleaded guilty because of all the evidence against them, but I was wrong."

Tears began to well up in her eyes and my heart pulled at the sight.

"But I promise it will be super quick and one of us can do it if that would make you feel better" I assured, hoping to calm her a little.

"O-okay" she whispered, her voice shaky.

"Alright I'm going to go talk to the police and bring back the camera. Hudson can you explain the adoption process?"

"Sure"

Hudson POV
I sat beside her bed so that I could talk to her seriously.

"Sweetie, as soon as the police have complete proof, you will have to sign some papers. Because you are still seventeen, we have to take full custody over you, which means forms and papers need to be filled out. After all of that, you will be ours and you can come home with us. You will also be assigned a social worker that will check up on you every three months. But otherwise it's pretty simple" I explained as simply as I could.

She nodded her head, her expression looking emotional yet distant.

"Do you have any questions?" I asked, wanting her to talk to me and tell me what she was feeling.

She shook her head and I sighed, knowing she probably did, but didn't feel comfortable asking them.

"I know it's hard angel, but it's okay to talk to us, we are here to help you through this, you don't have to be alone anymore" I comforted, seeing a glimpse of relief on her face before it was masked by an emotionless mask. It was small, but I was hoping that in a few weeks, maybe even days, she would be smiling a lot more.

Hayden stepped back into the room with a female police officer that was holding a camera. I thought that one of us was going to do it.

"Amara, I know I said we can do it, and we can, but I thought that maybe you would like a female officer instead. Is it okay if she does it? Or do you want one of us?" Hayden asked, gesturing to the female next to him.

"S-She can" she muttered.

The female officer smiled at all of us as she went to approach Amara.

"Hello Amara, my name is Katie and I'm here to take a few pictures and ask a few questions. Is that okay?" She explained softly, recovering a weak nod from the small girl. It hurt to know that she didn't feel comfortable speaking out loud but it was something that we could help her with.

"Alright then, I need you to lift up your shirt for me please, as far as the bruises go up" she instructed as Hayden took a seat beside me, closer to Amara for comfort.

To our surprise, Amara hesitantly outstretched her hand to Hayden, silently requesting her hand to be held. He took her hand in his with a full blown grin and rubbed his thumb across her knuckles for comfort. This was a huge step for her and we were all so proud of her progress, whether it was a simple hand holding or talking to us. It displayed the trust that was starting to grow in us.

With her other free hand, she lifted her hospital gown up to under her breasts while keeping the blanket strewn across her lower half. Pictures were taken of her face and her abdomen, as well as her wrists, where handprints were.

The pictures were quick as Hayden promised her, but the stress and anguish that they caused was clear on her face. She was uncomfortable and we all knew it, but this time we couldn't do anything to stop it.

"Okay Amara, you are all done with the pictures. I have just a few questions now about the investigation. First of all, can you identify that these are your parents?" She asked, holding up two pictures of a male and female.

"Yes" she whispered, only glancing up because she had to. I could see the fear in her eyes that something as little as their pictures created, and it only made me want to hug her until she wasn't scared anymore.

"Okay good. Now, can you tell me why your siblings were never neglected or abused like you? It's okay if you don't have an answer" she questioned, speaking softly.

Aw my poor baby...