~S e v e n~

Double update because I'm sorry you guys had to wait so long! School was killing me this week but now I'm on Christmas break so you should see more updates. Enjoy!

Amara POV
"Why can't you get anything through your thick skull! Your sister was dying in the middle of the night and you couldn't even get up to care?! Your sister loves you and she was heartbroken when she saw you weren't coming to the hospital with us!" Mom screamed, her voice getting impossibly louder by the second. She lies so much she could be an actor.

"To make up for it you have to do everything your sister asks for the rest of the week" my dad chimes in, fuming.

"Okay. I'm sorry." I apoligized, trying to diffuse the situation before it got out of hand.

"You should be. Get out and get us food you ungrateful brat" she spits at me.

My dad threw money on the ground for me to pick up like a dog.

Sighing, I pick it up and make my way out of the room and into the pristine hallway. I have always hated how this place smelled. It reminds me of memories that I was trying to suppress.

Shaking away the thoughts, I follow the signs to the cafeteria, trying to remember how to get back.

I walked into the cafeteria and I froze in my tracks, realizing this was the cafeteria for everyone in the hospitals, including the staff. A few of them stopped to look up at me, confused as to why a teenage girl was stopped in the middle of the hallway breathing heavy.

Heat spread through my face and I looked down, trying to control my breathing and walking forward to avoid all the stares.

I ended up picking up sandwiches for everyone in my family, not including myself and making my way to the check out lines. I had always hated doing things that involved interaction just because I was so horrible at it.

Doctor Hayden Shaw
She intrigued me. Amara was the name her father called out. She was so small and looked sick. She also had a bruised cheek. The way they all interacted was weird too, it was almost like it was fake.

The girl was still on my mind when I happened to see her in the cafeteria line behind me, holding food for what looked like her family.

I came up with the great idea to introduce myself so I told the cashier to charge her food bill to my card so that she would have a reason to talk to me. I know I probably shouldn't have but I was so intrigued. 

I walked away and found a booth not too far away from where I could still see her. I was completely acting like a stalker right now but call it a doctor's intuition.

I watched how she walked up to the cashier where he scanned all of her food, trying to make small talk with her but failing when she kept her gaze down.

He must have told her I paid because her head shot up in alarm, following his arm to where he was pointing, directly at me.

I sent her a gentle smile but didn't receive one as she collected her food in a bag and walked away from the cashier. Luckily she was coming near me because I didn't want to have to chase her and scare the small girl.

Stopping at my booth, she looked up and caught my gaze before putting her head back down.

"Um, I..I wanted to s-say thank you for p-paying for m-my food D-Doctor,....y-you didn't h-have to do that. Can I p-pay you b-back?" She spoke quietly, shakiness in her voice.

 I also noticed she was holding and itching her wrist, making it an irritated red. As doctors we were trained to notice the little things, especially something like self harm.

This intrigued me more. Why was she so scared? And why was she rubbing her wrist like that.

"I'm Doctor Hayden Shaw, and you're very welcome. I know it was for your family so it was the least I could do. Would you be willing to sit down for just a moment?" I asked hopefully, seeing panic fly through her face. What was she so worried about?

I felt the need to hold her until all of her anxiety went away. But I didn't, as I didn't want to terrify the poor girl.

"I-I well... I n-need to g-get back" she spoke hesitantly almost as if she didn't want to go back.

"Please? Just for a moment? I would like to get to know you, seeing as I know the rest of your family." That was the worst excuse of my life. I wanted to know why she was so scared and why she has a bruise on her cheek.

"I promise you are safe with me, I am a doctor after all" I added, chuckling, knowing she was still hesitant.

I saw the wheels tuning in her head as she stood there biting her lip. 

"Al-alright. But i-it has to b-be quick" she finally agreed, slowly sliding into opposite side of the booth, putting a smile on my face.

"Perfect thank you. It's Amara right?"

Seeing her body tense up, she replied wearily. "Yes i-it is."

"Alright Amara, how old are you?"

"I'm s-seventeen"

"Oh so you're a senior? What school do you go to?" I continued with the easy questions, hoping she would get more comfortable with me.

"Yes, at St. Thomas Aquinas High School" she said without stuttering, making me feel a proud emotion in my chest for some reason. 

She also goes to the same school Grey works at. I don't tell her this incase she is scared of him too. I'll have to ask him if he sees her at all.

"That's cool, I know it's a good school. Many kids I see go there" I say, hoping she'll ask about my job.

"A-are you a d-doctor for k-kids?" She asked innocently, looking at me with a cute head tilt. She looked like an adorable puppy.

Laughing lightly to ease the tension, I replied, "Yes I am. I usually work at St. Francis Pediatric Clinic but I was called into the hospital for your sister today. Funny thing is I have never seen you in my clinic, but I see your sister every year, which is why I didn't know who you were." I decided to push a little and see how she responds.

She froze in her spot, looking up at me wearily. I knew she was trying to come up with an excuse which made me more suspicious.

What parents would bring in one child but not the other every year?

Hey guys hope you enjoyed! Next update will be sometime next week.