59: Monster

I woke up to the sound of shouting downstairs. When I awoke, Nailea was still fast asleep. I scrambled out of bed and slipped into my dressing gown before quietly leaving my room and slipping behind the stairs so I could hear the conversation.

"Six years!" A voice bellowed. "She comes back six years later, with somebody's child and you just let her back into our home? Have you forgotten what she did to you?"

Ethan hissed his reply. "Zafrina proved that Nailea was my child, she is my bloodline and as my daughter, she will inherit everything I own when I die."

I peered closer, leaning on the chair in front of me slightly before knocking it over and falling along side. The thud caused Achilles and Ethan's attention to divert to me. Embarrasingly, I quickly got up.

Achilles approached me, in anger and frustration. "I don't know what you said to fool my son, but you will not fool me. That child is not his-"

"It is his. Ethan is the father of my daughter, whether you like it or not." I interrupted him. "And as a Calaway, she should be given the life of a Calaway. I cannot give her that life, unless she is acknowledged as your granddaughter."

"I want you out!" Achilles snarled. "Right this second, pack your things and get out."

Ethan stood between me and his father, shielding me. "She's not going anywhere."

"Don't disobey me, I am your father!" Achilles shouted.

"And this is now my house!" Ethan bellowed. "This mansion is under my name, and she is the mother of my child. She will stay here, with me and my daughter and we will both raise Nailea despite what you, or anyone has to say in the matter. My decision has nothing to do with you, and I shouldn't have to explain myself to you, but I am because yes, you are my father."

He continued. "Dad, you always told me to never run away from my problems, and to face them instead. I have been running from my duty as a father for six years. I have to face my problems, and you will not stop me."

"Mummy!" Nailea called out, from the top of the stairs. Oh god, she heard the conversation.

"It's okay, Nailea." I reassured her. "Go back to your room, I'll bring breakfast to you soon."

Nailea said nothing and obliged.

"Won't you eat with us?" Ethan asked.

I gave him a weak smile. "I don't think we're quite welcome, yet. We'll eat in our room for now."

"I'll get the cook to sort out breakfast." Ethan suggested.

I shook my head. "No, please don't trouble the cook. I will make breakfast myself, as I have been doing for the last five years, nearly six." I remarked.

I made my way to the kitchen, and explored the cupboards and the fridge. After some snooping, I decided I'd make a few blueberry muffins so I grabbed some oil, milk, eggs, vanilla extract, salt, baking powder, all-purpose flour, granulated sugar and some fresh blueberries and baked a dozed of blueberries. Once I had popped them into the oven, I cleaned up the kitchen and put everything back into its rightful place.

"Well, well." A voice echoed. "The hotel whore reappears six years later."

His voice sent chills down my spine.

Alex.

I spun around, completely caught off guard. What was he doing here?

"What do you want?" I snarled.

He took a few steps closer to me, as I moved back. "Stay the fuck away from me."

"Or what?"

I grabbed the kitchen knife behind me and pointed it at him.

He chuckled. "Put the knife down."

I ignored him, standing guard as he continued to make his way towards me, slowly. I looked to my left. If I was quick enough, I could slip through the kitchen doors into the hallway. I stood there for a few moments, contemplating whether it was a wise thing to do, before bolting to the door. But I wasn't quick enough, since he had grabbed me and restricted my arms behind my back as I dropped the knife. I couldn't even call for help, he had covered my mouth with his dirty fingers.

"If I were you, I would tread very carefully." Alex brought his head to my ear, whispering. "I know things that you don't want others to know, such as the things you had to do to get your daughter into school."

My heart sank.

"And of course, we can't forget the recent 'news' that you were told a few months ago." He murmured.

He nuzzled his nose into my neck, as I shut my eyes, feeling sick to my stomach.

And then he let me go, walking out of the kitchen as if nothing had happened.