십일- Chapter 11

I've been in the same school my entire life

I've been in the same school my entire life. I had teachers who taught my dad and grew up with my grandparents. If I did bad on a test, the teachers would tell my dad at church on Sunday or if they saw him at the only grocery store in town. If I got detention, my dad knew immediately. So basically, before I started a new year, I knew the teacher, and they knew me. There was no phase of learning names. No awkwardness. No roll call.

Now I'm sitting in my third class of the day, being completely lost. I already forgot this professor's name, and I couldn't read the Hangul that was on the board. The writing was messy and looked nothing like what I had studied.

What the hell did I get myself into?

When class ended, I closed my notebook, and the guy that was sitting next to me got my attention, "Hey if you want, I typed everything he talked about today. I could email it to you."

I looked at him, and my jaw dropped. He was tall and had curly blonde hair that fell over his crescent eyes. He had three earrings in his right ear and a lip piercing.

"Oh, uhm. It's okay. I tried to write down everything he said."

"This is my second year taking one of his classes. I know he has shit handwriting, and it can be hard to read for foreigners. I don't mind. Oh. I'm Park Minjun."

He holds out his hand, and I see he has several bracelets and rings on, "Melody. McKay Melody."

He smiles as I slowly take his hand, "Do you have another class after this?"

"I have a two-hour break before a private lesson."

"Awesome. Let's go get lunch together," he said as he walked past me, heading directly to the door. When he reached the door, he turned around and tilted his head to the side. I realized that I haven't taken a step and quickly gathered my things before walking briskly after him.

"Where are you from?" he asks as we walk across campus to a small cafe.

"I'm from a small town in Oklahoma, America."

"Your Korean is pretty good for a foreigner."

"I've been studying for four years. I won't lie and say it's perfect, but it gets me by for the most part."

We order our food, and he grabs both orders and guides us to a table by a window. Wow, he is very attractive. His toned arms flex as he sets down our food, and he gets comfy in his chair.

"What's your major?"

"I'm a double major. Music performance and composing. You?"

"Dance performance."

"You're a dancer?"

"Yeah. I am studying contemporary, but I love hip hop."

"That's so cool. I always find dancers fascinating. Like how do you tell your body to move that way? It's amazing."