칠- Chapter 7

Have you ever moved from somewhere that has been your home for 18 years? Fifteen years? Eight years? You get used to a place soon when you have the same routine every day, but what about people? How long does it take to get used to a new person you have never met before? For some, they could instantly click, but for others, it could take over a month like me and my roommate, Kim Haru.

Kim Haru showed up two days after I moved in. I tried to talk to her, but she kept to herself for the most part. She had long black hair and big round eyes that were covered with round wire-rimmed glasses. She was around my height of 5'5, and she always wore bulky sweaters and skirts almost every day, even if it was 90 degrees out. I learned that Haru played the violin, and was outstanding at it. I liked to listen when she practiced during the day and wanted to get to know her before school started. I hoped we wouldn't keep ignoring each other when we lived in the same space.

I was working on a piano cover to upload in the living room when she came out of her bedroom. As she was heading to the door to put on her shoes, I yelled, "Hey!"

She jumped at my loud greeting, and I smiled awkwardly.

"Hi."

"Where are you headed?" I asked lightly.

"Convenience store...Would you... Do you want me to grab you anything?"

"Oh, some noodles would be fantastic. That's basically all I've been eating since getting here."

"Have you tried eating at any of the restaurants yet?"

"Oh.. No. I haven't. I'm too awkward to go eat by myself. I went to a few bars, though."

"Maybe we could go to a restaurant near here instead?" she asked quietly.

"I would love that! I've wanted to get to know you better anyway!" She smiles brightly at me, and I jump up to grab my shoes as well.

I learned many things about Haru. She has been playing the violin since she was young, and she grew up in Gangnam. She said she also tried to play the cello, but she hated how big it was. She even hated living in the city and thought everyone here was a little stuck up. I told her I was from a town that was like an ant compared to Seoul, and she laughed at my analogy. We were both giggling and talking about random likes and dislikes as we walked back home. Right as we got in, I got a phone call from the one and only Bun.

"Bun! You haven't called me in like a week!"

"Sorry, I texted though," he said breathlessly.

"Why do you sound like you just ran a marathon?"

"I just got to my room with my luggage. I'm back in Seoul."

"You're in Seoul?!"

"Mhm, but I'm still pretty busy."

"Ah, you're always busy."